Chapter 22

Driving home was a real ordeal

Not only was it late - or as Alec had pointed out: early morning - and my eyes stung from the lack of sleep, but my mind kept conjuring images of what had taken place tonight.

In just a few hours.

Yet I felt as fatigued as if it had been days.

I knocked on the door.

I shook my head at the memory of what I'd said. 'Slammed my fist against it' was more accurate. How had he not heard me? Even under the water. Alec was a vampire/shifter hybrid; he had to have good hearing, especially when I almost pounded the damn door down.

And then: the pool.

A cold shiver ran through me and I gripped the steering wheel tightly enough for my knuckles to turn white.

When I saw him writhing under the water... I'd thought he was drowning. I'd been into a lot of terrifying situations due to my work, but the last time I'd been this scared...

Peter.

I shook my head, as always, desperately trying to get the thoughts of my ex-partner out of my head.

Alec. Think of Alec now.

And his suicidal ways.

Was he really suicidal?

Or was he just an adrenalin junkie?

Neither option bode well.

Stopping at a red light, I let go of the steering wheel and ran my hands over my face.

Alec's problems might've run deeper than I'd imagined.

I knew he had issues, but this... What happened tonight...

I leaned my head on the headrest of my seat.

This was on a whole new level.

How could I help him?

Was it even possible for me to do that?

Do you think you are a strong person? Alec's question rang out in my head.

No. Not tonight. Tonight I felt helpless. Knees weak, hands shaking, brain functions cut off by panic.

The exact opposite of strong.

As for whether he was: I couldn't tell.

Sometimes Alec seemed powerful. But would someone with a strong and sound mind try to kill themselves?

Had he, had he, had he...?

Probably not.

Something told me Alec didn't want to die. And yet, he wanted trouble, he craved the thrill of danger.