Chapter 37

Hello, kittens! I'm back!

September was a pretty hellish time for me with so much work (three weeks with no day off 😭), but I'm getting back to writing and I've got a bunch of surprises for you. Check out yesterday's message on my board to find out about them, but basically: more extras.

(Did you already check out the last one - a Q&A with ten of your favorite characters? Link in the first comment.)

But first surprise: the much-requested Everett's POV!

My chest tightened as I recognized the car parked in front of my home

The prospect of meeting with my own son should not fill me with dread, shame and self-loathing, but I could never help those sentiments mixing with the anticipation and hope that maybe this would be the day a miracle would happen and Alec would crack open for me the door to his heart.

I knew I'd let him down by not being there for him when he was growing up, but with the Maksimoff's connections, it couldn't have been helped.

I'd had briefly fantasized about kidnapping the child and running away with him, had made plans even, but thankfully, Rhys had caught on to my intentions and had prevented the disaster.

And a disaster my desperate attempt would've been.

Even if I'd managed to sneak into the Maksimoff mansion - an almost impossible task on its own - I would've never succeeded to leave there with Alec.

I would've been caught, all my parental rights stripped from me and I would've never been allowed anywhere near my son again.

So I'd stuck to the meager visiting hours the court had allowed me after giving custody of Alec to Anastasiya. They'd been too few and far in between for me and by the betrayed expression in my toddler son's eyes, I could see he'd craved more too.

A betrayed expression that had later been replaced with anger whenever his pale eyes had landed on me and then with complete indifference when he hadn't run away from me on the days I'd gone to see him.

My heart clenched, my knuckles going white over the steering wheel.

I hated myself for not having managed to do more.

What kind of a father was I, not being able to provide my son with the love he needed and deserved?

A pathetic, helpless being when I should've been strong for him.

No father at all...

The words rang out in my head and I had to fight tears of shame.

But Alec was here today.

Not because of me, but because of my beloved Ollie: my little bundle of joy to whom I could be a real father.

My ray of warm hope that through him, I could maybe connect to my older child.