Chapter 46

"If you want me to rent a room somewhere in town, just tell me," Vika said, zipping up her faux leather jacket

"I like having you here," I replied in place of a simple no.

"I'm just saying," she went on, pocketing her keys. "If this guy is going to be showing up often and you obviously don't want me around when he's here..."

I leaned against the wall and rolled my eyes.

"Adrian is not showing here often. Just once or twice a week. Maybe."

"For now," she muttered, taking her bike helmet. "Seriously though. I'm here for moral support, but if you need space..."

"I like having you here." Irritation crept into my voice at having to repeat myself. "Now go out and bite someone."

"Oh, I intend to." My cousin grinned wickedly. "Be back tomorrow at noon. Ish." She added with a shrug, then opened the door and headed out. She wasn't meeting with anyone in particular, but Deviant was a prime place for hook ups so it wouldn't be difficult for her to find a companion and place for the night, giving me some alone time with Adrian, even though I had no idea if he'd be sleeping over.

We'd agreed on dinner and that was it.

But he could sleep over...

I shook my head and made my way into the kitchen. The sound of a fridge opening summoned Luca, the cat materializing as if from thin air, sitting pointedly next to his food dish. I warmed up some chicken soup Vika had tried to make - the outcome wasn't bad - and poured him some before returning to the cold white rectangle to get myself an ice cream.

Luca halted his sipping of the broth to eye what I was placing in my mouth, but the scent of vanilla obviously lost to that of chicken and soon he was back at it.

I made my way to the living room, stopping in front of the large windows that overlooked the terrace and the pool.

The weather was warm, but I had absolutely no desire for a dip. Plus, I wanted to do a final check of the apartment and tidy up before Adrian arrived.

He could sleep over...

Nope.

Too soon to share a bed. And with Vika staying over, my spare room had turned into her bedroom. And I doubted Adrian would agree to sleep in my room while I took the couch or went to Vika's...

Finishing my ice cream, I returned to the kitchen to throw away the wrapper and the wooden stick before going about tidying an already immaculate apartment.