Chapter 42

Want to win a chapter dedication?

Check out the game in the A/N at the bottom.

Bolek had summoned Vika at the most inopportune moment, that was to say, on the exact same day that I'd been invited to visit the Bullets

Bolek had summoned Vika at the most inopportune moment, that was to say, on the exact same day that I'd been invited to visit the Bullets. My cousin and I both suspected he'd chosen today precisely so I wouldn't get moral support during my meetup with Keri and her pack. At first, Vika had been adamant to ignore him, but after we talked it over, we decided it would be best that she went. Bolek was already pissed off at me and I could use an ally - think: spy - in that family; if he cut Vika completely off, we'd have no way to observe what he was up to.

And thus, I drove alone, parked my car alone, and got out.

Alone.

The meeting was held at the Bullets' pub and everyone over the age of sixteen was free to attend if they wished, save for the Council for all of whom attendance was a must. But just because the other Bullets could skip, it didn't mean that they would.

The premise was packed, even the younger generations making an appearance. The triplets - Peter, Damon and Serenity - who were about my age were there, and so was Peter's mate whose name I'd never bothered to remember; Jared was, of course, present with his mate and so was the pub owner's son - Ivan, with his girl; Kennedy's friend - I grinned at the memory of little Ollie calling him 'Horse' - was also here... And so was Kennedy himself, too young, but allowed on account that we were related.

My whole shifter family was here, in fact: from grandma Jackie and grandpa Tom, to Uncle Rhys and Riley and Carter and that annoying bitch he called a mate, to my father and Lisa, and even Ollie.

They brought Ollie here.

Lisa was holding onto him as, once he saw me, he squirmed in human form and attempted to get away from her and closer to me.

I walked further into the pub, passing by many faces, most of them carrying not openly hostile but still unwelcoming expressions.

I didn't care about any of these people.

I knew I should, that their approval of me or at least their tolerance of my presence meant that I could have a presence here instead of being chased out of pack grounds because this was why we were having the meeting: to decide - based on certain truths coming to the surface - whether I was still allowed to mingle with the Bullets.

I realized that, and yet I couldn't bring myself to care, except for Kennedy and Keri. But as I thought deeper on the matter, I found out that I wouldn't mind being on good terms with Jackie and Tom, and Rhys, and Lisa... Kelly and her mate Steve were pretty cool too... And Jared had always tried to make me feel like one of the pack, even though I'd always gave him a hard time... And 'Horse' could be fun to tease, and Kennedy and Ollie liked him...

Alright.

So there were a few people I wouldn't mind being on good terms with. But they were few, especially when you took into account how big the pack was.