Chapter 47

Alec had fallen asleep, but I couldn't follow suit, my eyes refusing to close, my gaze glued to the face lying sideways on my thigh

Silken locks of hair, eyelashes so pale they almost blended with the color of his fair skin, pink lips hiding a set of fangs that could tear into my flesh, sharp points I should fear, and yet...

Yet I couldn't bring myself to fear.

Not anymore.

Months ago, I wouldn't want his mouth anywhere near me, not trusting him not to sink his teeth into my neck, but today I'd let him place his head on my thigh and with the same ease I'd let him lean it on my shoulder, his lips close to my neck.

I swallowed at the thought, the image of his mouth on my skin eliciting a spark of lust inside me.

Shaking my head, I forced myself to concentrate on something else. The way Bear and Luca had snuggled at my feet held my attention, briefly, until I drew parallels between them and Alec and I.

Alec and Luca could both be haughty and aloof, but had gradually warmed up to Bear and me, the pets leaning on each other in their nap in a way similar to how Alec was leaning on me. I was sure he hadn't intended to fall asleep and I probably needed to wake him up; I had, after all, agreed to help him with his case. Since I wasn't working on it, it wasn't a conflict of interests, so unless I gave him inside info on how the proceedings were going - something I wouldn't do and he hadn't asked me for - I was free to give advice.

During a phone call, I'd told him about how the Silver Bullets' ban wouldn't look good for him, to which he'd replied with "So, basically, the Bullets' opinion of me could influence whether I get convicted or not and whether I'm convicted or not would influence the Bullets' opinion of me. Great."

He'd made a valid point. The Bullets were more likely to cut Alec off even further if he went to jail and during the court proceedings the prosecution would definitely bring up how his father's pack had banned him from their land. Changing the Bullets' minds therefore became a necessity for something other than Alec being allowed to visit his father's house.

"What are you thinking about?" A sleepy voice had me gazing down. Alec was now awake, but he had yet to move away.

"Your case. Your court date is approaching."

"Time for business, huh?" He muttered, his gaze leaving my face and landing on our pets.

"Might as well. It's what I came for."

"All you came for?" He looked up at me though hooded eyes. His expression was due to his recent nap, but it still made my pulse race.

"I want to help you," I said, avoiding a straight yes or no reply.

A heartbeat later, Alec nodded and sat up.

"Let's get to it," he said, stretching his arms high. "Where do we start?"