Chapter 13

I wasn't sure I'd manage tonight's update. I uploaded a blog post earlier today, and wrote a 3K chapter for my Patreon project, so I was pretty tired... But then I did a few writing sprints with Kelly Anne Blount and managed to finish this chapter on time!

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Alec: You better have dessert this time

I huffed, fired back a message - If I don't forget. - and pocketed my phone.

The truth was, there was an unopened tub of ice cream, sitting in my freezer since Alec's first and - up until now - last visit. Bear and I were also currently making our way to Mayflour to get some pastries, him happily tapping with his little feet on the sidewalk, and me trying to convince myself that I wasn't giving into Alec's demands, but simply being a good host.

The bakery came into view and Bear sped up, enthusiastic he was getting a tasty treat. While I didn't give him sweets - they were bad for animals - I always shared the salty pastries I bought from here.

Tying his leash to the tree in front of Mayflour, I walked inside, inhaling deeply the aromas - vanilla and cinnamon overpowering the rest - and my mouth instantly watered.

"Hey," I greeted the young woman behind the counter and she smiled at me.

"Adrian! Not working today?"

"No. So we came to get some of your delicious goods."

"Bear with you?" She craned her neck, looking to the side of me, but my dog was too small for her to see him through the window which started a couple of feet off the ground.

"Yeah. You've got something he could eat?"

"Of course!" Ginny turned her attention back to me, beaming. "Aunty just finished a sugar-free carrot cake; I could get you some of that."

"Two slices," I ordered. I didn't feel like eating it and I was sure Alec would turn any sugar-free dessert down, but he might bring Luca along tonight, so a second slice was a good idea. And even if the devil showed up without his minion, Bear would be up for a slice tomorrow too, so the cake wouldn't go to waste.

"Anything else?" Ginny asked, and I pondered on it. I was sure something unhealthy would be a winner with Alec so I ordered a selection of half a dozen donuts, each with a different toping, two cupcakes - a chocolate one with walnuts and a vanilla one with lemon cream - and two salty, cheesy pastries, because I wanted some dessert as well and I wasn't much into overly sweet foods.

Once I had everything neatly packed in paper bags, I bid Ginny goodbye, and she asked me to pet Bear for her. I knew she would've loved to come out and do that herself, but with several customers in line behind me, she had her hands full.

Bear jumped up when I walked out, sniffing at the bags and barking out once, but I hushed him, telling him he'd have to wait until dinner, when our guest - or guests - would arrive. Embracing all bags in my left arm, I fished my phone out of my pocket and sent 'Is Luca coming over or not?' to Alec.