Chapter 18

Boleslav Maksimoff was a tall man with a grayish complexion

Boleslav Maksimoff was a tall man with a grayish complexion. All sinew and hard, angled features, he looked like a vampire from an old horror movie; the dignified, Count something-or-other type. The high-set eyebrows and the cold eyes made you feel like he was always looking down on you and unless you were as pureblooded as he was, then yes, that was exactly the case. We had a mutual hatred for the fact that we shared both an eye and hair color, but those features aside, you wouldn't think we were related.

Throughout all of my life, people had told me I was beautiful even when I was being cruel to them. My grandfather was anything but easy on the eyes, but that didn't matter; he had other means to make people comply.

Bolek ambled into the room, taking Vika and me in, the usual cold disapproval clear on his face. He then passed his daughters - both had gotten up to great him respectfully, albeit without any affection - and took his seat at the head of the table.

"Late for your own party, grandpa dearest?" I asked, taking a sip of water. "Not very hospitable, is it?"

"You should be grateful that you are allowed in the house at all," my mother - now sitting down - stated.

"We are not exactly jumping for joy at being here," Vika pointed out.

"And yet you enjoy every favor the family name brings you," her mother put in. "Talk about ungrateful."

"Would you like us to change our names then, aunty dearest?" I asked sweetly. "I'm sure all the paperwork is worth it."

"And where would you get the money for that from if father cut off your allowance?" My mother asked.

"Unlike you, mommy dearest, I have independent means. I could always sell a sex tape."

"Vulgar as ever, I see." My mother sighed, then opened her mouth to say more, but Bolek raised a hand to silence us.

"We'll talk more after the first course." He took out a tablet and tapped with his long fingers on it a few times. It was unsettling seeing the antique that he was interact with modern technology. Most Dayers these days didn't live over a hundred, but grandfather had enough pure genes to have achieved that and look to be in his eighties; seventies some might even say.

The door opened and in came two footmen, followed by the first course grandfather had just ordered on the tablet: three female and two male humans, all five of them young and beautiful. I could smell the soap on the guy who was served to me; don't let it be said that grandfather offered food from dirty containers. The guy - in his early twenties - was well-trained on how to position his body. He knelt next to me, his eyes to the floor, and pulled his sleeve to expose his inner wrist before he offered it to me.

He was pale - exceedingly so, and before he'd lowered his head, I'd seen his slightly unfocused eyes with dark circles underneath.

He'd been fed on recently.