Chapter 15

"Yeah, about Bear

"Yeah, about Bear..." The Sentinel got up and headed for the kitchen. "I put him in the bedroom."

"Oh?" Not wanting to miss this chance to tease and reassert my dominance, I got up and followed him while adding: "You didn't think we were going to be needing that room?"

"Alec, what did I just say?" Adrian turned, exasperated, and did a double take when he realized I was standing right behind him.

"Something silly that I decided to ignore, obviously," I purred, putting my hands on his chest, enjoying the speedy drum of his heart beneath my fingers.

He licked his lips, gulping loudly, his eyes narrowed on mine.

"Alec, stop."

"You don't want me to stop." I slid my hands up and around his neck. "You just wish you wanted me to stop."

"I still said stop." His tone was deliciously breathy.

"If you really meant it, I'd do it." I murmured, raising myself on my toes to get closer to his parted lips.

"So there are some lines even you wouldn't cross."

And there he went spoiling my fun!

Did he have to remind me that I had limits?

I lazily dropped my hands down, the heels of my feet touching the floor again.

"Don't count on that, Sentinel."

"Why did you step away then?" A little victorious smirk appeared on his lips and for the briefest moment, I was tempted to jump at him, wrestle him to the ground, straddle and kiss him. But that would freak him out, and I didn't want that.

Yet.

I needed a change of topic.

"So, how come he isn't barking?"

"What?" Adrian asked, momentarily confused by the new direction the conversation was taking, then he rushed towards the bedroom with a shouted 'Bear!'. The moment he opened the door, the excited yapping began. Obviously, the pooch was just fine. While the tiny creature reconnected with its owner, I made my way to the counters to see what Adrian had in store for us for dinner.

The first thing that caught my attention was the Mayflour logo and excitedly opened the paper bags. The carrot cake didn't entice me in the slightest, but the cheesy pastries were okay, and the cupcakes and doughnuts were calling to me.

"I can't believe he stayed quiet for this long," Adrian was saying as he moved into the kitchen. "Maybe he's sick. I should probably take him to the vet tomorrow... Alec, no!"

His tone changed from concerned to stern and parent-like - at least how I'd heard other people's parents talk; my mother was cold and father spineless, but I realized my relationship with them wasn't what you'd call typical - and he ripped the bag with doughnuts out of my hands.