Chapter 29

Sasha plopped onto the top of my desk for the second time that day

Sasha plopped onto the top of my desk for the second time that day. I sighed, not lifting my eyes from the report I was finishing up, and said:

"I haven't forgotten about the pub, nor do I plan to sneak out of the building. You don't need to watch over me."

"Would I do that?"

"You're doing it right now."

She chuckled.

"That's what partners are for."

"They are also there to remind each other to finish their reports and submit them to their superiors on time."

"I'm done with my report," she proudly stated.

I put my pen down and looked up at her. She gave me a grin.

"Did you proof it?"

"Of course I proofed it." She waived her hand dismissively.

"Did you proof it properly or did you give it a quick once-over?"

"I. Proofed. It."

I gave another sigh and got back to my own report.

"Go properly proof it, Sasha. I need some time to finish up here anyway."

She didn't move.

"Ian."

I didn't look up.

"Ian," she repeated a little louder and I lifted my gaze towards her. She stuck her tongue out at me, then got up and strutted back to her own desk.

I shook my head and wrote the last few sentences on my report before I proofread it.

Twice.

"You are buying the first round

"You are buying the first round." Sasha tapped me on the back as we made our way over the marble flooring of the lobby of our workplace. "And maybe second. I need to save up for a new office chair."

I rolled my eyes.

Sasha didn't need to save up for anything.

She was a trust fund baby and said trust fund guaranteed she could live way beyond just comfortably without having to work a day in her life. In fact, she could call up her dad right at that moment to tell him she needed an office chair; the guy would then call his very efficient secretary - personal assistant, was her official title - who'd arrange for a dozen of chairs to be delivered to Sasha first thing in the morning so that my partner could pick one and then the PA would take care of disposing of the rest.