Chapter 41

I groaned as my neck cracked ominously, pain shooting down my spine as I lifted my head

I groaned as my neck cracked ominously, pain shooting down my spine as I lifted my head. Opening my eyes, I rubbed them with my right hand, my left buried into something silky and soft. A look down towards my lap chased all residual drowsiness away, my eyes going round as I realized that not only had I fallen asleep on Alec's couch, but so had he, his cheek against my thigh.

My host was the perfect picture of blissful repose, face relaxed, mouth slightly opened, warm breaths coming through his lips in steady exhalations. Watching him made my own breath catch in my throat, my own lips going dry, tongue darting out to wet them.

Ever so gently, I brushed his pale locks with my fingers.

Alec didn't awake, so I did it again, still keeping my touch light, a part of me feeling like a creep for doing this while he was in this state, another justifying my actions as Alec hadn't objected to this while we'd been watching TV.

While he'd been watching TV; I remembered I'd been looking at him, his face gaining a pinkish hue as the sun had set.

Now it was an ethereal white-blue, the natural light from outside gone, the room illuminated by the TV. My eyes trailed towards the source of illumination and soft background noise to see Alec had stopped at a popular channel dedicated to nature and animals.

And speaking of animals...

My gaze darted around the room until it returned to the couch at the foot of which I spotted our pets sleeping, Bear having spread himself tummy down on the floor with Luca elegantly curled into a ball next to him, the cat's head half on his own paw and half on Bear's.

The last thing going through my mind before I carefully repositioned myself to get more comfortable was that I was going to wake Alec up in just a bit.

In just a tiny bit.

Adrian was not waking up

I've been out of Dreamland for about an hour, thinking I'd laze about until he was too, but the urge to use the bathroom was getting strong and I was hungry. Luca was giving me the stink eye, occasionally glancing towards the kitchen, but he hadn't moved either, his head on one of sleeping Bear's front paws.