Chapter 20

I hung up and finished the little that was left of my drink

With only two cocktails sipped slowly throughout the day, I wasn't drunk or even close to tipsy, but it was one of those days in which boredom had enveloped my brain like a blanket of fog, numbing it and so, I'd decided to mess a little with the Sentinel.

I contemplated making another cocktail, but was in no mood for one. Still sprawling on my couch, I looked about the room in search for Luca and discovered him sleeping on the stool in front of my piano. The sight immediately brought up a frown to my face as I remembered playing earlier today. I'd started with some classics, but my mind for some reason conjured up images of Adrian. And that was when I realized that my fingers were moving, producing an original piece, the notes and the melody they formed echoing the Sentinel's personality. It had been as if I was creating the piece for him and the notion had me getting up and making my first cocktail.

The thing was, that the melody had personified kindness and strength and that in turn had me thinking about Vika's words when we left Bolek's mention about a week ago.

"If we'll be exposing anyone to our family, we need to make sure that person is strong enough to handle it and that we are good enough to them to be worth the trouble."

She hadn't meant physically strong, but while Adrian's Gift was supernatural strength, there was also some non-physical power that he possessed, some inner force to do right by people no matter what it caused him - a trait that seriously ticked me off.

"Is there anyone there who can take care of you?"

I snorted. As if I needed taking care of!

But he'd said it with so much genuine concern that for the second time today, I'd been reminded of him being dead set to do good.

Did he really think he could save everyone?

Probably not - he couldn't be that naive - but he'd still try.

He'd even offered to come over because he'd been worried about me.

That notion had a strange effect on me. I didn't want to call the feeling it provoked happiness, but I couldn't figure out a better word. Which, of course, was just one more Adrian-related annoyance from which I needed to clear my head. With that in mind, I got up and walked to the terrace, leaning on the fence.

The early August air would've been refreshing with its barest hint of coolness if it didn't carry the scents of a polluted city. Maybe I needed a vacation somewhere in the country. Somewhere with a lot of trees and clear, fresh air.

The land on which my father's pack lived was such a place. At the very edge of town, the Silver Bullet's houses were right next to the forest, part of which they owned.

If only the Silver Bullets themselves weren't there.

There were some members I wouldn't mind meeting. My Uncle Kennedy and the Alpha - Keri, were two people who I could argue with and be entertained by that. My Uncle Rhys was easy; all I had to do was manage to fluster his mate - Riley, and Rhys would get riled up. That had its charm. I could even go visit my half-brother - it's been a while since I'd seen the slobbering little beast - but then I'd have to talk to my father... Unless I waited for Everett to go to work before I headed to his home.