Chapter 33

This month's extra - Alec's Family Tree (+ Some Info on His Relatives) - is in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS. Link in the first comment and as an external link.

The knocking on my front door was firm, impatient and familiar

It was unexpected enough that I raised my eyebrows and demanding enough that the stubborn part of me wanted to ignore it; it warmed my heart as it showed that she cared, and annoyed me as I was too mopey to want to see even her.

I still got up and opened the door for the only relative on the Dayer side of the family that I loved. The first thing she did, before she'd even stepped into my hallway, was to punch me.

The second was to shove a gift my way.

The sweet smell coming from the bag of goodies from my favorite bakery did nothing to raise my spirits and I didn't even reach for the present, opting instead to lazily rub the shoulder Vika had hit, not very strongly, but with enough force to make a point.

Vika, who was still standing under the doorway, with a glare that was soften by the worry in her silver eyes.

After a brief staring contest, she sighed and finally came inside, closing the door behind her.

"So what was that very stupid thing you did that's gotten you acting all weird?" She asked as she undid the buckles of her faux leather summer boots and pulled them off her legs. The Mayflour bag had found its way to the floor and was currently being scrutinized by Luca.

"Yeah, yeah, there's something in there for you too," Vika murmured and the cat began to purr.

Sometimes I suspected he was so affectionate to my cousin in order to piss me off, to spark some jealousy in me, but that never happened. And today, I didn't really care.

Vika straightened up before slipping on a pair of black slippers she wore inside my penthouse when she visited. She then bent over and picked up the bag once again attempting to hand it over to me.

"Seriously? What's gotten into you?" She was frowning and I only just realized I hadn't answered her yet. I shrugged, the I-don't-want-to-talk-about-it not the I-don't-know type of shrug, turned around and walked to my couch, slumping down and lying on my back, forcing my cousin to take a seat on the sofa instead of next to me.

"Alec, what did you do?"

The Mayflour bag landed with a thud on my coffee table. Luca jumped after it, pushing his muzzle inside. Vika reached for the branded paper bag and took out a smaller one from it.

"I shifted in front of a human," I finally replied, my tone completely even. From the corner of my eye, I saw her freeze for a moment before she proceeded to open the smaller bag.

"So?" She asked, taking a treat out and placing it on the table for Luca to munch on. He wasn't used to taking things straight from the table top and not from a dish or a bowl, but the aroma proved too tempting and after a brief hesitation, he bit into the - what I was sure was - sugar-free cookie.