Chapter 31

The previous chapter got a lot of comments. I really enjoyed reading them so THANK YOU to everyone who left one... Or more!

PS: We have more switching of POVs than usual in this chapter (Alec -> Adrian -> Alec). I figured that's the best way to show you what each character is thinking. Hope it doesn't put you off.

 Hope it doesn't put you off

"Alec."

Adrian's call was a mere whisper that sent a shiver down my bones. I wanted to jump on top of him and pin him to the ground, then growl a little, my muzzle just inches away from his face.

I had never had such urges in the rare instances I'd used his form.

When I shifted in front of Vika back when we were kids, it had simply been to show her what I could do.

And last year? With Riley?

I'd been watching the Bullets, seen Riley on his own and gotten curious how the human would react.

Years earlier, displaying this form in front of Adam had been a test to see if I'd be recognized and on whether he'd tattle to my grandfather. I was almost sure the lawyer had realized it had been me he'd seen at the end of that alley, but he'd never brought it up with me or with Bolek, which meant that if my conjecture was correct, Adam passed.

The Adam situation was the most similar to the one I'd put myself in now, but even though I'd been nervous then, I'd kept my cool.

Stayed in control of myself in this barely-used form.

But I was a tangle of nerves right now.

Heart beating loudly, ears attuned even to the quietest sounds - much more so than when I'd usually shift...

My fight or flight instinct was at an all-time high and, of course, my urges took me towards fighting.

Not that it would take a lot to take the Sentinel down. Adrian had stayed still as a statue when he'd first laid eyes on me and recognized me - my errant heart had skipped a beat at that - but now he swayed to the point where - for an unnervingly tense moment - I thought he might faint.

What he did instead was stagger a step back, dropping the ivy which curtained the exit and hid him from my eyes. I could still smell his scent and that of Bear so I knew they hadn't left.

I took the moment of privacy to shift back into human form.

Subdermal vibrations took over my body, fur receded into my skin and my paws turned to hands and feet. It took only moments, but even in my human form, I could feel the tremors in my muscles as an aftermath of the shift.

I didn't know if it was just me - a half-breed who rarely shifted - who had this leftover sensations or if it was a common occurrence with those who could transform.

I'd never bothered to ask anyone.

Slowly, I began putting on the clothes I'd set aside before going into wolf mode: socks, underwear, a pair of black jeans and a white tank top. Shoes followed.