Chapter 25

"What a surprise," I heard my step-mother say and then another familiar voice answered:

"The triplets said they saw Everett unload things from an unfamiliar car and that something about him looked off. We just wanted to make sure everything's alright."

Off, huh?

I snuck a glance at my father, who stoically looked at my brother, trying to remain neutral, but I noticed his face twitch. I then directed my attention to the newcomers who followed Lisa into the living room.

Kennedy was as always his lively self, bright eyes shining with confidence, but the teen who walked in with him was quite contrasting.

The boy was a couple of years older than my uncle, taller, and with common brown hair and eyes. Yet, there was something handsome about his facial features and he had a fit, albeit not muscled body. His expression though...

Uncertainty, unease, and a dash of trepidation.

Emotionally weak and insecure - the exact opposite of Kennedy indeed.

I remembered seeing him around, but I couldn't recall a name. I did recollect that he was the son of that asshole of a Bullets member - Jasper.

"Uncle Kennedy," I spread my arms wide, "how lovely to see you."

"Glad you finally found time in your busy schedule to visit your family," Kennedy replied, plopping on the couch and reaching to pat Ollie on the head, the toddler happily seated between the two of us. "Is your big brother being a meanie again?"

"I have been on my best behavior," I shamelessly lied, fully aware I wouldn't fool him. From the corner of my eye I saw Lisa offer the brunet a seat on one of their sofas before she disappeared off to somewhere.

"A-ec!" Ollie proudly stated, grinning at Kennedy. I guess even kids weren't immune to my uncle's charisma.

"See, the little beats agrees with me," I told Kennedy while pointing at the toddler.

My uncle rolled his eyes. "Sure he does."

Lisa reappeared bringing with her one of the wooden chairs from the kitchen. Everett got up and let her have his seat on the second sofa while he planted himself on the chair.

"Who's the kid?" I stuck my thumb in the direction of the brunet who immediately and visibly tensed up.

"That's my friend - Horace. He came for support."

"Did he now?" I made sure to aim my most condescending grin at the older teen. "And how is he going to show support if we got into a fight? Cower in a corner and scream loud enough to attract more Bullets?"

The boy's face turned beat red from embarrassment and maybe some anger.

"Alec!" My father raised his voice.