Chapter 43

About the game: since the Bullets don't vote in this chapter, the game will continue. So far, there are several of you who got the same amount of correct answers. Instead of dedicating a chapter to just one of you, I'll dedicate a chapter to each of the people with the most correct answers.

The game will end when I post the next chapter and that's when I'll start giving out the dedications.

Everett made his way towards us, climbing the steps to the second floor landing with a resolve I'd never seen on his face before

Everett made his way towards us, climbing the steps to the second floor landing with a resolve I'd never seen on his face before. I thought he'd stand by Keri, but instead, he stopped next to me, his eyes roaming over the people below before he cleared his throat and began:

"My son Alec has done many things to our pack. As a child, he'd push the other kids or pull child shifters' tails until they cried out; even after we'd admonish him, he wouldn't apologize. He'd continue to argue and start physical fights throughout his teenage years. He'd repeatedly disregarded and insulted family members and authority figures..."

I rolled my eyes. Was that his defense of me?

Then again, he wasn't lying so I had no right to complain.

"... He'd hidden from us such a huge secret as his ability to shift, and worst of all was the prank he pulled on us last summer. However..." Everett glanced at me before he continued:

"After last summer's incident, he's quieted down. He hasn't fought with any of you, he hasn't argued as much and I believe he..." For the first time since he'd started his speech, his voice faltered. "I believe he's even approached a couple of us in a benevolent attempt to get close to them."

Jasper snorted at the word benevolent and I hated that I had to agree with him about how ridiculous it sounded.

Besides, who did I approach?

Apart from Keri, that was.

And I may have visited Riley at the Milk & Cream without the intention to mess up his day...

"Alec has visited us several times since our Ollie was born," Everett went on. "Not once has he picked a fight with any of you, and my Lisa says that he's even a little nicer to her. Not to mention that he's always attentive to Ollie and buys the little one what he needs. I believe that shows us Alec can be kind and caring, even if it's towards only Ollie and Vika that we know of so far. But until recently, it was only towards Vika, and now it's also towards Ollie; I believe that shows us that he could open up to even more people in the future."

"And until then?" Jasper cut him off. "Are we supposed to let him get away with things because you believe he might one day - maybe fifty years from now - become nicer to people?"

Once again, Jasper had a point. He was an insufferable prick, but he was no idiot.

Everett was initially put off by the interruption, but he quickly got a hold of himself: