Chapter 8

With Bear dropped off at the groomer's, I had some time to kill

With Bear dropped off at the groomer's, I had some time to kill. Breakfast had been a couple of hours ago, but a light snack sounded good to me. The cafés near the pet groomer were too fancy for my taste, so I headed for the Mayflour bakery - a fifteen-twenty minute walk away. I'd get one of their savory pastries and eat it on my way back to get Bear.

The late June sun beat at my face and I regretted not taking my sunglasses. I didn't enjoy wearing those things, but they were a summer necessity. With my mind half on the bakery's menu and half on wishing for a few fluffy clouds to shield me from the rays, I almost missed the light-haired, slim figure walking into the cemetery across the street.

Instinct stopped me in my tracks, my body tensing on reflex.

What was he doing here?

After a moment's hesitation, I followed after the halfbreed, muffling my steps as best as I could and keeping as much distance as I was able to without losing track of him. At least, that had been my plan. Apparently, I'd put too much distance between us as I did lose him in between the decorative statues of angels.

When a few minutes later my eyes finally landed back on his unsettlingly familiar body, Alec had stopped by a newly-dug grave.

I hid behind a tree, tilting my head so I could observe him.

His posture - neither relaxed, nor taut - didn't give anything away, and I could only see the side of his face. There was neither a smile, nor a frown; his eyes didn't betray any emotion either. He simply stood at the foot of the grave, staring at the headstone, hands in the pockets of black jeans, and I...

I had no idea what I was doing.

As per usual when it came to Alec, I was at war with myself.

A part of me didn't want to ever see the guy again, but another wondered why he was here. Could he be paying his respects?

He hadn't brought flowers, but that didn't mean he didn't... What?

Care for someone who was now gone?

I'd read his file; I knew his immediate family was alive. Could this person perhaps have been a friend?

Alec wasn't the kind to have friends.

Could this person have been a lover?

He didn't have lovers, not the real kind, just people to satisfy his sex drive.

Like I'd had that one night. Maybe. Had I been good enough to satisfy him?

I pulled myself entirely behind the three, leaning my back and head on its trunk and closing my eyes, silent cusses racing through my brain.

Why did I wonder that?

Why did I give a damn about it?

That night had been a mistake that should've lead to nothing but regret and loathing. There shouldn't be lust or worry that I hadn't been good enough for a selfish, manipulative, son of a...