Chapter 32

I held onto Bear as my legs carried me home, my mind reeling from what I'd just witnessed

Alec could shift.

And he'd chosen me to share that secret with.

Why?

Just why?

He knew that what he was doing was illegal and he'd made me an accomplice in his crime by showing me.

Now I had no choice but to turn him in.

It was either that or I'd lose my job... My livelihood... My life's purpose.

Being a Sentinel was more than just a position I held.

I believed in the system. I wanted to help people, to make my tiny contribution to bettering the world I lived in. I'd worked hard to get where I was today and be the best I could possibly be so I could save as many people as I could. So that there wouldn't be territory wars between packs. So that there wouldn't be hate crimes between shifters and Dayers. So that no one would prey on the weak, ignorant of the supernatural humans.

So that no one had to suffer like Peter had.

My eyes watered and I sniffed as I unlocked the door to my apartment. Bear whined and tried to give me a consoling lick, but I put him on the floor. Then - thinking I shouldn't neglect him, especially when he wanted to help - I gave him a quick pat on the head before heading to the bathroom.

The reflection in the mirror above my sink presented a scary picture.

Pale skin, wide eyes, forehead drenched in sweat... I've had the flu and looked better.

Who knew that knowledge could bring so much turmoil to a person?

That it could drain the life out of you in a matter of minutes?

I'd only seen myself in this state once before and I still had nightmares over what had brought it on.

I turned and walked out of the bathroom. Late as it was, I picked up the phone and called in sick, then slumped on my couch and stared at the wall, Bear jumping up to join me before placing his muzzle on my knee.

 Late as it was, I picked up the phone and called in sick, then slumped on my couch and stared at the wall, Bear jumping up to join me before placing his muzzle on my knee