Chapter 21

Skinny jeans looked amazing on my slender legs, but were Hell to take off quickly for a fast, hot hookup

Skinny jeans looked amazing on my slender legs, but were Hell to take off quickly for a fast, hot hookup. Then again, I was in no mood for sex and even after teasing Adrian, I was sure he'd turn me down. So skinny jeans it was, paired up with a short-sleeved, tight tee - black to match the jeans - and no socks.

"So," I asked as I exited my bedroom and closed the door behind me, "want to tell me what you are doing in my penthouse?"

"I'm here," Adrian began before he'd even fully turned his head and body to look at me over the back of the couch, "because somebody lead me to believe they were all alone and drunk."

"What on Earth gave you that impression?" I asked innocently, walking around the couch to stand in front of him.

He glared up at me, mouth opening and closing in silent rage.

"You couldn't remember how many drinks you had," he said, grinding his teeth.

"That was a joke." I waved a hand at him and plopped into a nearby sofa.

"You were slurring your words."

"I get that way sometimes when I feel mind-numbingly bored."

"And your little nightly dip into the pool? Did you also do that because you were bored?"

"Yeah." My easy tone stunned him and he placed his hands atop of his head.

"You decided to almost drown yourself because you were bored?" He asked slowly, head shaking from left to right.

"I didn't try to drown myself." I rolled my eyes. "I was just about to get out when you pulled me out."

"You can't swim, Alec!" He bellowed in my face, jumping up. "What the Hell... How messed up... Who the fuck keeps their pool full of water when they can't swim?" His voice still raised, he paced back and forth in front of my couch, fingers digging into his scalp. I half expected him to pull out chunks of his hair if I pushed him more.

Which meant that it was time to stop.

To back off.

However...

"Oh, wow. An upstanding citizen like you, Adrian, cussing?"

I just couldn't help myself.

Adrian screamed - actually screamed - before slumping down back on the couch, his breathing heavy, fingers still clutching tightly at his dark hair.

"Do you have any idea how scared I was?" He whispered, looking straight into my eyes.

My breath caught and my chest tightened, a lump forming in my throat as if all the snarky, cruel things I could hurl at him in this moment had merged together, clogging my airways. The sincerity and pain in his brown eyes immobilized me. I didn't move and I couldn't speak, a single question running on repeat in my brain, first as a whisper, then louder than when Adrian had shouted at me.