Chapter 39

I have not one, but TWO updates in the EXTRAS book this week. The first one is a notice about Kennedy's story and the second is Adam's character profile and inspiration board (yay, pictures!). The EXTRAS book is given as an external link and the individual extras themselves are linked in the first comment.

As soon as I opened the door, Bear jumped out of the car, ears perked up, displaying the excitement he'd been buzzing with throughout the ride as if he'd known we were going to see Alec and Luca all along

As soon as I opened the door, Bear jumped out of the car, ears perked up, displaying the excitement he'd been buzzing with throughout the ride as if he'd known we were going to see Alec and Luca all along. The slight tightness in my chest betrayed I was more anxious than excited, but I would've been lying if I'd said I wasn't feeling hopeful and even... Happy.

I'd wanted to see Alec and even though he was going through a tough time - admittedly, by his own making - he still wanted to see me and had invited me over.

I greeted the doorman and picked Bear up before entering the building; he was well-behaved, but there was another, larger dog in the lobby and I didn't want to risk the other pet coming over and getting hostile.

The elevator took us all the way up, my heart beating faster with each floor. I kept checking my reflection in the mirror, wondering if jeans and a t-shirt was too casual, then thinking it was just a friendly visit, so there was no need to dress up, then worrying whether the top was too tight and would give Alec the wrong impression. Noticing how nervous I was, Bear licked my hand in encouragement. I smiled down at him just as the doors slid open. Taking a deep breath, I stepped out.

I hesitated briefly in front of the penthouse front door, taking yet another deep breath, then rapping on the smooth, high-quality surface.

Alec opened shortly after, a lazy smile on his face, and I was glad to say he'd also gone for casual: a cream-colored long-sleeve tee and a pair of linen pants, though unlike me - who looked like I was going to the corner store - he seemed meant to grace the cover of some fashion magazine.

His smile grew when he noticed me gawking and I mentally shook myself, straightening my back. In my arm, Bear fidgeted, eager to be put down so he could get to our host.

"Hey," Alec greeted simply.

"Hey," I replied softly, my eyes on his hooded ones. He looked a little sleepy and very seductive. I gulped before asking: "Did we wake you up?"

A quiet chuckle was his first response, and then:

"I knew you'd be here soon, I wasn't taking a nap. Come in." He inclined his head, stepping to the side to make room for us.

I entered and noticed Luca was watching us, perched on a corner table next to the door. Bear was moving, a lot by now, and as soon as his tiny paws hit the floor, he was in Heaven.

Confused, but in Heaven.

He couldn't decide who to greet first.

He darted towards Alec as the boy was closing the door, then stopped, turned his head towards Luca, then back to Alec, then back and forth, back and forth. In the end, he decided that Alec was closer, so he stood on hind paws, front ones on the blond's leg, for which he was rewarded with a scratch behind the ear. Bear's tail wagged like crazy and I smiled at their interaction. As soon as Alec withdrew his hand, Bear was off, taking on the same stance, but this time against the corner table, looking up at Luca.