Chapter 50

Ever wondered how the series got started? You can find out in the monthly extra!

(Link given as external link and in the first comment.)

A moment ago, there'd been a cat and a baby by my side; now, there was only a brown cub, its lupine grey-green eyes trained on a departing Luca

A moment ago, there'd been a cat and a baby by my side; now, there was only a brown cub, its lupine grey-green eyes trained on a departing Luca. Front paws lowered, Ollie prepared to jump after the feline, but even though his moves were more fluent in wolf than human form, he was still no match for me. As soon as he lunged in the air, I caught him and brought him closer to me.

"No hunting," I ordered, bumping my brother on the muzzle and getting my fingers licked for my effort.

"He meant no harm; he just wanted to play," Everett said.

"I know."

For some reason my calm reply gave him a startle. Perhaps he still couldn't wrap his mind around just how familiar I was with wolf instincts. Granted, my ability to shift had shown itself when I was much older than Ollie, but I still remembered how I wanted to chase after things when in wolf form. It wasn't much different than how Dayer kids wanted to play-hunt (the word "play" probably lacking when it came to my own family) and would try to sneakily stalk humans around.

But I wasn't about to discuss the similarities between vampire and shifter instincts with Everett right now.

"I'll go get Ollie's spare clothes for when he turns back." My father rose.

"He can wear the ones I bought him," I said and Everett's eyes rounded again.

"You bought clothes for Ollie?"

"Why are you surprised?" I asked, my hold on my brother tightening while he tried to climb all over me and lick my face. "I buy him things all the time."

"Yes, but... You bring him gifts, but you preparing clothes for his visit..." Everett gave me a hesitant smile. "It's very thoughtful."

Encouraged that I didn't sneer at him, he went on, with a wave around the room:

"And you've baby proofed the penthouse. It's... It's..."

"Thoughtful?" I couldn't help a teasing smirk.

"Yes. Responsible too."

"Unexpected?" I offered and his smile wavered. He squared his shoulders before he continued:

"Yes. But in a good way."

We held each other's gaze, his grey-green eyes nothing like my pale grey ones, but the uncertainty and hope in them feeling strangely familiar and relatable. I knew it took effort for him not to give into his nerves and look away; once upon a time, I would've pushed him until he backed off, but now I wanted to give him a reprieve.

I turned my attention to the squirming fur ball in my hands.

"I don't suppose you'd make things easier for us and turn back human, huh?"