Chapter 23

Driving through the Silver Bullets' neighborhood was an annoyingly familiar activity nowadays

The houses were the nice, homey type, with wooden fences and yards so that the pups, who were not yet allowed in the nearby forest, would have somewhere to play. Two such pups were mock fighting on the sidewalk when their mother - or at least I assumed that was who the brunette was - saw the unfamiliar vehicle I drove and quickly ran out of her garden to try and hide the little ones. Judging by the look on her face as I steered past her, the realization that it was me behind the wheel didn't bring her any joy, but at least she was relieved that it wasn't a human who saw two baby wolves in a residential area of Woodville.

As I neared my father's house, my mood worsened; his car was parked outside, which meant that the man himself was probably inside.

Why didn't he have a house to build or something?

Construction workers should not be at home during the day, especially when I was visiting said home and didn't wish to meet one of said construction workers.

What made things worse was that Everett got out of his house and looked my way as if he was waiting for me. One of his neighbors had probably called him to warn him of my arrival, or to complain about it.

I bet it was that wench with the pups; she looked just like the type to bitch about me.

And no, I wasn't making it easy on the Bullets, causing them trouble on my drop ins, and yes, my relationship with my father, who - for some reason beyond me - had a good reputation in their community, was notorious.

So, yes, they had reasons to complain.

It still irritated me some days.

Case in point: today.

I stopped my car behind Everett's older and significantly cheaper one and got out, throwing him the keys to my vehicle.

"Presents are in the trunk. Unload them."

Without even looking at my father, I walked inside his home. He didn't say anything, just sighed, and a moment later, I heard him open the trunk.

I'd stopped by the mall on my way here to buy a couple of things for Ollie. And by 'a couple', I meant 'twenty-three'. There were a few sets of clothes, but it was mostly toys, some of them noisy. I was hoping he'd use those while daddy was taking a nap.

The little beast didn't run to greet me and when I entered the living room, I discovered why. Ollie was sitting over a pale blue blanket on the floor, in his human form, which was a lot less mobile than his wolf one. He grinned when he saw me, bouncing up and down while still sitting on his butt, frantically waiving his little, baby fat-covered arms in the air. The 'charming' display was completed by dribble coming out of the corner of his pink mouth.

"Hello, Alec. What a surprise." Ollie's mother, who sat on the floor next to her offspring, attempted to smile politely, but as usual around me, it came out strained. Her body, which she'd managed to reshape into a fit form after giving birth, was full of tension. Her eyes - a common brown - would follow me around whenever we were in the same room, which would be all the time I was here, unless there was another Bullet she trusted to observe me.