Chapter 34

"It's Alec, isn't it?"

Sasha was, of course, spot on. I wasn't even surprised at how quickly she'd figured it out. She was an astute woman and, as my partner and friend, she was attuned to my mood and feelings, and the way I thought.

I wondered if I could share with her what I'd learned about Alec.

She was very flexible with the law, not minding one bit if she had to do things off the book, so she wouldn't be worried about her career if she discovered an unregistered shifter and didn't report them. On the other hand, she would be worried about me and how not reporting Alec would affect my career, so she might go on and rat him out to cover my ass.

There was also another issue: not whether I could share the secret, but whether I should.

And the answer to that was...

No.

Alec had - for some unknown reason, whether because he trusted me or wanted to mess with me - shared something private.

Dangerous, for both of us, yes, but private.

So how could I go and tell the world about it?

My morals didn't allow me to do that.

Unfortunately, my morals were currently engaged in a long, tiresome and mind-boggling war with my sense of duty which insisted that as a Sentinel and keeper and enforcer of the law I must inform the appropriate agents about this.

It wouldn't be my fault; I wasn't responsible for what Alec had done or, in this case: what he hadn't done.

I had sworn an oath and I was a man of my word.

It would be a dishonor the badge if I kept my mouth shut.

But it would also be dishonorable to speak and betray.

"Ian!" Sasha's raised voice made me focus on her: her angular features, her long, fiery red hair that matched her temper... Her grey eyes that were beautiful, but were nothing compared to Alec's paler ones...

She stared back at me for a long time before finally sighing and placing a gentle hand on my shoulder.

"Talk to me, Ian. What did Alec do?"

"No need to talk." I covered her hand with mine. "I've made up my mind about Alec. And I'll be back to work tomorrow."