Chapter 38

It's been four days I'd come out to my father as someone who could shift and three since I'd been to Sentinel HQ and last seen Adrian

Vika had moved in to show me her support, and Adam had been working tirelessly on my case, keeping me a free man, albeit one who was forbidden to leave the state without express permission from the Order. He had, however, called in to tell me he had to see me urgently and that he was on his way to my apartment; I had no doubt it was to notify me Bolek had forbidden him from helping me out any further.

If I had to be honest, I was surprised the old bat hadn't pulled on Adam's leash sooner.

I guessed even grand and mighty grandpa Bolek had had a difficult time deciding whether my shifting ability was a detriment to the family or something he could use. Him restraining Adam could be a sign of either: it could be Bolek giving me the middle finger or it could mean he was simply going to demand I did something for him or that I acted in a certain way and in exchange, I'd get Adam's services back.

"Your cat is broken." Vika's words made me open one eye, but I didn't rise from my position, lying on my couch.

"How so?" I asked looking at her just as she pocketed something small and shiny.

"He refuses to chase the laser dot. What kind of a cat doesn't chase after a laser dot?"

"A smart one that knows better than to run around for no reason," I replied and closed my eye again.

I heard Vika rise and then listened as she helped herself to something from my fridge. Softer steps followed her to the kitchen and I knew Luca had padded after her to see if there was anything tasty he could demand from my cousin. Apparently, there had been as Vika's footfalls were the only ones I heard near me again, and then there was the sound of her body hitting the soft armchair she'd vacated before her food quest.

A loud exhale let me know she was preparing to speak, but the bell rang before she could utter a word.

"That would be Adam," she said.

"That would be," I agreed and when I didn't get up, she did and opened the front door. Their greetings reached my ears and I itched to rise and demand the newcomer to just get to the point, but not wishing to give my anxiety away, I stayed put, only opening my eyes after Adam said:

"Stop pretending to be asleep. We need to talk."

"So it seems." I made sure my voice was even and my movements lazy as I sat up on the couch. Vika took one of the armchairs and Adam placed his briefcase on my coffee table before making himself at home on the other.

Thankfully, Adam wasn't one to beat around the bush.

"Bolek called me off." The lawyer opened the briefcase and took out two large manila folders. "Here are two copies of your case files. This one is for you," he handed me the first, "the other for whoever you hire to replace me."