Chapter 48

He was here again

He was here again.

Alec, my nephew by marriage, had shown up unexpectedly and completely unnonounced to my place of work, just like he had a few months prior. But something was different this time.

Alec was differen.

His previous visit at the Milk & Cream had startled, even frightened me. I'd been sure he'd come to toy with me, to make me look the fool and embarass me in front of my colleagues and the patrons at the cafe.

He'd been enigmatic, yet intimidating, voice silky, yet dangerous, his pale eyes gleaming, setting me on edge. The position he was currently in - sitting by the bar, leaning his face against the palm of his hand - was an exact replica of the one before, and yet...

And yet.

I'd seen him with Ollie.

I'd seen him try at the meeting with the Bullets.

I'd heard about him thanking Everett afterwards.

None of those things were actions Alec from back then would've taken. Even the way he moved seemed less predatory now, his gaze somehow softer.

"When are Everett and Ollie coming over?" I asked, pushing a milkshake towards him. It was a blend of vanilla, honey and cinnamon - the same I'd made for him before and that he'd thoroughly enjoyed.

"Tomorrow." Alec took a sip through the plastic straw, a tiny smile playing on his face at the prospect of seeing his baby brother.

"Happy?" I couldn't help but mirror his expression.

"Yeah."

His straightforward answer surprised me. His tone wasn't lighthearted by any means, but it was an admission of something other than boredom and that fact only contributed to the notion of how much Alec had changed.

Would I ever get used to this new Alec?

I wouldn't have much of a chance to, not unless he became a regular at the Milk & Cream or he managed to make the Bullets change their minds about him.

My attention was stolen by a string of other customers and by the time I got back to Alec some fifteen or twenty minutes later, he'd already finished his drink. I inclined my head in question to his empty glass and receiving a nod, made him a second milkshake.

"Is Vika going to be there tomorrow?" I returned us to the topic of his relations' visit the following day.

"She wanted to, but she had to leave. Work-related," he added, volunteering the information without me asking, yet another show of his transformation. I must've shaken my head or given another subconscious signal at my surprise, as he spoke again, with a question of his own:

"Why do you look so confused?"

"You're so different from when we first met," I admitted and once again, Alec took an unexpected direction. Instead of teasing me about how I'd freaked out on that night, he simply shrugged and let it go.