Chapter 35

This month's extra - Horace's character profile - is now available in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS book (link in the first comment and as an external link)!

One of you asked me to also post the character profile of his mate; would you be interested in that as the August extra?

Or maybe a short scene from the mate's POV? (Not naming them here, in case you haven't read Sentiments & Reason yet.)

A firm grip on my forearm, turning me around, a flash of red, then of grey, and then a hiss:

"A fucking shapeshifter?"

"What?" I blinked stupidly at Sasha.

"Alec." She said with firmness that indicated she meant business. "He can shift."

The marble floor of the Sentinel HQ lobby disappeared and I was falling with nothing to grab on, my heart pounding in my ears, the blood rushing to my limbs. I blinked and then my mind began moving, focusing on where we were and who was around us.

Hushing her, I pulled my arm out of her grip only to grasp her in turn and pull her to the side, placing our bodies between two of the large palms used for decoration. From this hiding place, I scanned my surroundings and, once satisfied no one paid attention to us, I looked into her grey, stormy eyes, and spoke quietly:

"How do you know about that?"

"He came to register this morning." She moved her arm out of my grasp and crossed it and its counterpart over her chest.

"He did?" I shot out and gazed about again, this time in search for familiar facial features and light blond hair.

"I just said that."

I turned back to my partner when she spoke. She had not stopped glaring.
"The question is, Adrian: were you going to cover for him?"

I wasn't going to tell her.

That had been my decision: to keep the secret Alec had shared with me.

It was a dangerous secret, a burden that burned at the front of my mind during the day and didn't allow me to rest at night, but yesterday I'd finally made up my mind to keep what I knew to myself.

But now?

Now that Alec himself had told the world about it - God! What possessed him to do that? - what was the point in me keeping quiet about it?

Especially when asked directly by a person who knew me too well for me to be able to lie to her?

Still, my lips didn't move, but that was all the answer my partner needed.

"You were." Sasha slowly shook her head, fingers raking through the fiery strands at the top of her head. "Are you in love with him or something?"

In love?