Chapter 19

The interview with Luna, Luca and Bear is up! In two parts, actually. The first is the pets introducing themselves, and in the second, they answer questions. I want to thank @CHLOERedWolf @MattyDBlack and @amibiguity for coming up with some of them.

 I want to thank @CHLOERedWolf @MattyDBlack and @amibiguity for coming up with some of them

The TV was on, but I paid no attention to what was on the screen. Sitting on my couch, absentmindedly petting Bear who was dozing off next to me, my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of a certain fair-haired hybrid and the fact that he'd cancelled our meetup. It'd been a week since then and feelings of relief, disappointment and confusion still warred inside me.

Somehow, in less than two months since Alec stepped back into my life, he'd claimed a spot on it.

A disturbing realization, which led to the relief that he'd been ghosting me for the past week, which in turn led to the disappointment that he was no longer around, and all that led to the confusion.

Had Sasha been right that Alec had been toying with me?

If that had been the case, good riddance, but why had he suddenly stopped?

Had I bored him somehow?

He'd seemed interested enough in another dinner with me until that sudden text that something else had come up.

Something or someone? I wondered, with a disturbing pang in my chest. Ignoring what I stubbornly decided not to name a dose of jealousy, I kept musing over the possible reasons for Alec breaking all contact with me - not so much as a text with a haughty photo of Luca - and reaching the same conclusion as before: I wouldn't know unless I asked the guy himself.

But did I want to contact him?

To bring him back into my life?

Next to me, Bear let out a sound between a snore and a whine, then he moved about until he found a more comfortable position, not opening his eyes the whole time. Probably not even waking.

I watched him and once I was sure he wasn't having a puppy nightmare, I got up, picked the plate and cutlery from my dinner and headed to the kitchen. The leftovers went into the trashcan - I knew Bear would try to get them from there - and the china into the sink. Turning the tap, I began to wash the dish, the question 'Do I want him back?' on repeat in my brain.

The answer?

Maybe.

And it was a big maybe.

It depended on why he'd cancelled and why he wasn't calling me, but more importantly: why had he approached me in the first place?

What were his intentions?

That night in June when he'd left Simon and Sarah had been a coincidence, but perhaps also the incident that brought me to his attention. And after that?

I was lost.

I hadn't the slightest clue.

Realizing I'd been rinsing the same plate for forever, I sighed, put it to the side and soaped up the knife.