Chapter 30

Part of this chapter will be written in italic since it's a memory. Thought I'd give you a heads up so it doesn't confuse you since I use it for my Author Notes.

 Thought I'd give you a heads up so it doesn't confuse you since I use it for my Author Notes

"Don't you get drunk on me." Sasha put a hand on my arm and pushed down to force me to lower my glass. "Then again, it might loosen your tongue. Keep drinking."

With that, she let go of me, but I put my glass on the table nevertheless. She was right that the alcohol could make me say things I'd later regret sharing and I didn't want that.

"Spill," she ordered. "And I don't mean the beer."

I rolled my eyes at her and leaned back into the wooden chair.

"Well?" She prompted impatiently. "You promised me, Ian."

Ian.

It was so easy for her to use it.

It was so easy for my family and other friends to address me that way.

But not for Alec.

Oh, no.

He was too stubborn to do that.

Or was he really using 'Adrian' to show me he didn't want us to be friends?

But it was Alec: if he didn't want it, he'd tell me.

God, that guy was giving me a headache!

I rubbed my eyes with my thumb and index finger.

Ian.

I wondered if I'd ever hear him say it.

I shouldn't matter, but it was important to me. In my mind, that would signal an undoubted closeness between us and I craved it.

"Ian!" Sasha kicked me under the table. "Talk to me."

"You Dayers are pushy creatures, you know that?" I asked, moving my fingers away from my eyes to look at her. My statement wasn't any truer than me claiming all humans shared a particular trait; just like with my species, character depended on the individual Dayer. She didn't bother correcting me though and grinned.

"That's why we get shit done. So?"

"So," I began, then made a pause. "I don't know what to tell you."

"Don't give me that."

My leg suffered another not that forceful kick.

"I really don't." I lifted my arms up and realizing I'd raised my voice, I intentionally spoke quieter when I said: "He confuses me so much, I don't know what to say. I don't know where to start."

"Start with Deviant."

"You know about Deviant," I replied, through clenched teeth.

"That I do, but it might help to start from the very beginning," she said calmly, unfazed by my slight hostility. "So, start with how you two met."

How the two of us met, huh?