Chapter 11

With the omelettes ready, we sat down to eat: Alec sprawled on the couch again, as if he owned it, and me on the sofa, munching quietly as I watched him from the corner of my eye

With the omelettes ready, we sat down to eat: Alec sprawled on the couch again, as if he owned it, and me on the sofa, munching quietly as I watched him from the corner of my eye. Bear and Luca were eating in the kitchen because let's face it: there was no way I wouldn't feed the cat - mind you, it definitely didn't look like Alec kept it starving - and also, that I wouldn't treat Bear to an omelette if our furry guest was having it for dinner.

To be honest, I was somewhat surprised that the cat was feeding on something that had pepper in it, and a little relieved that I hadn't had basil at hand to add even more spices before I was told Alec's pet would be having the same as us.

The detective show went on as we quietly ate, Alec's attention on it, either because he liked it or because he thought - and rightfully so - that the silence would unnerve me. I pondered on things to say, on some small talk to engage in, but nothing was coming to mind, so I just kept devouring the omelette, until there was none left. Alec wasn't done yet, so I placed my empty plate on the coffee table and stayed put.

Pretended that the TV show was the most interesting thing in the world.

That Alec very leisurely eating an omelette while acting as if I wasn't there meant nothing to me.

A playful growl caught my attention. Luca was sitting on a towel that had previously been on one of my counters, but was currently lying on the floor. Bear was biting the fabric, pulling it towards him, his tail wagging like crazy. Luca calmly watched him for a few seconds, then very deliberately stood up, freeing the towel, causing poor little Bear to land on his butt. Alec had apparently noticed them too, because now he was laughing and that was all it took for him to have my full attention again.

"Your cat is an asshole," I repeated, crossing my arms over my chest.

Alec snorted.

"I think we already established that." He took one fine bite of the omelette, and added: "And that your dog is an idiot."

I sat closer to the sofa's edge, slightly leaning towards him.

"My Bear is not an idiot."

"That, or a masochist," he said, taking another small bite.

When I raised an eyebrow at him, he simply used the fork to point to where the animals were and I turned my head just in time to see Luca getting up from the towel again, and Bear falling on his butt once more. When I turned back to Alec, he was smirking.

The guy put the empty plate on the table, leaned back so he was lying on the couch, and with those pale eyes glued to mine, he asked in a low voice:

"What's for dessert?"

I took in a sharp breath, my pulse quickening.

We were not going there.

I shot up, picking our plates and heading for the kitchen to wash them off, passing by Bear and Luca still doing their towel thing. I was hoping to earn myself some time away from Alec, but the devil followed, brushing a hand against my thigh - a touch so brief and feathery light that I might've imagined it - and then... Passing by me and rummaging through my nearly empty freezer.