Chapter 26

This month's extra - Answering Your Questions about Shifting and Hybrids - is up in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS book. The link to that chapter is given as an external link and in the first comment here.

I forgot the name of the guy David had driven me to almost as soon as he'd introduced us

The man was a gorgeous African-American with muscles showing he was just as keen on working on his body as he was on adding paint to a canvas. Still, I didn't feel even the slightest flicker of lust at his charming smile or when he bent down - exposing his round ass to me - to pick up whatever he'd dropped.

David seemed to catch up on my reluctance to stay behind after working hours. He'd make the occasional loaded comment and innuendo, he'd run a hand over the other man's bare toned arms as if to invite me to do the same, but the air of defeat never left him, even as he attempted to turn me on.

I took my money and left them to their own devices in the African-American's apartment studio.

Then I pondered where to go.

Deviant had always been my favorite club, but even it had lost its charm.

My legs made me turn in the general direction of Adrian's apartment, but I wasn't sure I wanted to set foot there either.

I frowned, remembering the message I never ended up sending:

I'm having a threesome on that day.

I'd seen from the windows of the African-American's studio that there was a park nearby, so I headed that way, picking up a pack of cigarettes from a small corner shop I passed on as I walked there. I was rarely in the mood for smokes, but I fancied one tonight.

I sat on an empty bench and lit up, my thoughts frying off towards Adrian and our last in person encounter.

Do you have any idea how scared I was?

His words from that night invaded my mind and I tapped the ground with my foot as I took a long, long drag from my smoke.

I shouldn't have cared that he cared, but I did, and it royally pissed me off.

I threw the cigarette butt on the ground and stomped it with my toe, wondering what I should do next.

I could go home...

But I didn't want to, my head already turning towards the way that would lead me to Adrian's apartment.

Fuck it.

I might as well go.

Get whatever was going to happen over with.

I knew I was up for a tense encounter, given how we'd previously parted, but waiting to see him wouldn't change that.

And I wanted to see him.

And annoy him just to prove to myself that I was still me.

With that thought in mind, I pocketed the cigarettes and took out my phone... Only to realize that giving someone the heads up about me coming over wasn't really my thing, not the old me, anyway. So I closed the text app and instead dialed a taxi service, giving Adrian's address when my driver arrived ten minutes later.