Chapter 6

In the A/N of the last chapter, I asked you if you'd like to read an interview with Adrian. Some of you showed interest so I'll write one and post it in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS book.

Do you have any questions for him?

If you want to ask Adrian anything, write your questions in the comments of this chapter before Sunday, June 17 (ten days from now). They could be about Peter, how Adrian got Bear, about Adrian and Alec, about Adrian's favorite drink - whatever. If you want to know, ask, and I'll make sure he replies without giving any big spoilers.

 If you want to know, ask, and I'll make sure he replies without giving any big spoilers

"I've been summoned too," Vika complained when I picked up the phone. "Hi, by the way."

"Hey." I sat on my couch, phone in hand. "So Bolek wants to see you too, huh? Do you know when the old bat will be back in America?"

"He will be back when he's finished with his work in Europe," my cousin replied, imitating perfectly Adam's I'm-only-half-paying-attention-to-you-but-don't-argue-with-me tone. It had been the lawyer, I was sure, who had called her to bring her the grim news. Grandfather wasn't in the habit of making calls when he could simply order someone to do them for him. After all, why bother talking to your family when you could afford not to?

"I asked for a more specific date," she went on, a blender turning on somewhere in the background. Vika made a pause, during which she must've moved, because the noise receded, "And got 'about a week, maybe two from now'. Want to pretend we suddenly caught a deadly and extremely contagious virus?"

"He'll probably have us locked up in isolation and talk to us through a speaker while we watch his pretty, thousand-year old face on a huge screen, mounted to the wall. And then, in a few months, when he decides we've had enough punishment, he'd let us out and berate us on trying to lie to almighty him."

"Good point. Think we can infect him with a deadly virus?"

"Hmmm." I stretched, then brought the phone back to my ear. "That sounds much more tempting. I'm sure we can find something on the black market."

Vika laughed and I heard someone asking her in French what was so funny. My cousin replied with 'nothing' - again in French - and that someone talked no more. I suspected it was that model - I was pretty sure her name was Marie - that Vika was sort of dating and had gone with to France a few months ago.

"It would be great if we can get away with that," my cousin said.

"We'll do the world good, if we get rid of Bolek. Oh, no, wait: doing good is bad for my rep."

"And we wouldn't want to ruin your rep," she teased.

"Nope. Guess we'll have to put up with grandpa."

Luca jumped on the couch and rubbed himself against me. I reached out to pet him, but he scurried off and hopped on the piano stool. Once on that small stage, he began to pointedly groom himself as if saying 'I graced you with a touch, now I need to get clean'.