Chapter 40

Hello, kittens! I'm back and so is Sweeter than Sweets. There will be 3-4 chapters this month, plus an extra in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS (to be posted on the last Friday of the month).

But that's a long way from now. Let's catch up on Alec and Adrian.

PS: To those of you who've read my Hunt Me Down: I wasn't happy with how it ended, so about a week ago, I posted a short Epilogue. I think those of you who are HMD fans would enjoy it. (At least I hope you will.) I'll link it in the comments and as an External link.

Prompted by Alec's offer, I took another cookie, this one with a vanilla flavor

"Good?" He asked and I nodded, still feeling a bit off at how at ease he seemed, not a hint of flirtatiousness in his eyes or inflection.

"Do you want me to turn on the TV or would you rather chat?"

"Chat," I shot out although I had no clue what was a safe topic for us to discuss. All I knew was that once I had Alec's attention, I didn't want to share it with anyone or anything; whatever he wanted to talk about, we'd talk about it.

My host brought his legs up on the couch, folding then and sitting on top of them, his body turned to me.

"Topic?" He requested.

"What's with all the questions tonight?" I asked, twisting my body to see him better. "You are usually more..." I hesitated in search of the right word.

"Dominant?" He suggested. "The take-charge-of-the-situation type?"

"Exactly." I forbid my mind to concentrate on his first sentence and carry my imagination astray. "Tonight you are too considerate. Almost suspiciously so."

"Almost?" A hint of a teasing grin that I was very familiar with. "Do you think I'm lulling you into a false sense of security?"

"No," I answered without hesitation, Alec's mouth falling slightly ajar in surprise before his lips curled up in delight.

"You know, if you never question people, it will be easier for them to take advantage of you."

"Thanks for the warning." I pushed another of the almond cookies into my mouth.

"You really don't suspect me then?" Alec put his right arm over the back of the couch then propped his chin on it.

"Really," I confirmed, just as sure, even though I had no clue where that sense of security came from.

"Is that because I shifted in front of you or because I registered?"

And there it was.

It was my turn to become slack-jawed as Alec himself took on the subject I was sure he'd do everything in his power to avoid.