Chapter 49

Want to know how to make the milkshake Riley prepared for Alec?

I've posted the recipe in the Dogs, Bats & Monkeys Series: EXTRAS. Link given as an External link and in the first comment.

Baby-proofing the penthouse had seriously ticked Luca off

He wasn't the type to rummage through drawers, but now that he understood that he couldn't, he felt insulted at me taking the opportunity from him. He'd been glaring at me since the evening; he was glaring at me still, sitting on the piano stool, his tail flicking back and forth.

Another step I'd taken to prepare for Everett and Ollie's arrival was to stash all the literature I possessed on raising children into my bedroom where my father wouldn't set foot.

Adrian had noticed the books; I didn't want Everett to do so too.

Adrian.

I reclined further back into the couch.

It'd been a couple of days since my weak, but sincere apology. True to his word, Adrian had texted me when he'd gotten home that night. We'd exchanged a few more texts since, but they'd been pretty casual and not letting on how he'd felt about what I'd said.

That night, the night when he'd been here, he'd seemed stunned, a little bit flustered perhaps, but that had been it.

I wanted to know more.

I was usually good at picking up on other people's emotions, but I'd been having a hard time doing so with Adrian. I knew he'd accepted my apology, but I had no idea where we stood.

I rested my head against the back of the couch and covered my eyes with my forearm.

I was such a mess of doubt and irritation lately; I needed to sort myself out before I could begin... Something with Adrian.

What did I want though?

I couldn't even decide on that.

Friendship, yes, but more than that too.

Boyfriends?

Lovers?

I didn't do boyfriends, not my own anyway. Well, lately I hadn't done anyone's boyfriend or girlfriend, but that was beside the point. Or perhaps that was exactly the point; I had no interest in anyone but Adrian.

That had to mean something.

So... Lovers?

What did that entail?

I puffed out an annoyed breath; this train of thought was starting to give me a headache and that was not what I needed, especially now when I'd be having visitors.

Right on cue, there was a rap on my door.