Chapter 15-part 2

"Hey Zayn. I'm glad you could come! I didn't think you would show." Zayn hands me a towel so I say a quick "thanks."

"I couldn't miss Nialler's birthday party, especially one that you put together." Zayn smiles wholeheartedly at me. "This is Gigi and Gigi this is Jess."

"Hi," we say at the same time.

I wonder if she knows who I am or if she thinks I'm just a friend of Zayn's. I mean technically I am, but does she know that he was in love with me?

"I'm going to go say hi to Niall. I will be right back." Zayn runs away leaving me with Gigi.

"This awkward, huh?" Gigi softly laughs. "The ex-girlfriend with the new girlfriend."

"Oh, I'm not Zayn's ex." Am I though?

"I know, but ex-fun buddy doesn't sound as good." We both laugh. I understand why Zayn likes her.

"I have heard worse." Gigi laughs at my joke and I just smile. "How long have you and Zayn been dating?"

"About a week officially." Gigi smiles proudly.

This isn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Gigi seems pretty nice and seems to really care about Zayn. Her eyes light up whenever she hears his name. It's cute. I wonder if I will ever feel like that with someone or if I even want that. Zayn soon comes back to us. He smiles at Gigi and then at me.

"Zayn, we weren't done talking about you yet. Go away," I tease.

"I would, but they are all getting out of the water and I don't want Louis and Niall to throw me in." I smile as Zayn reaches for Gigi's hand. "I saw you and Niall in the water earlier."

I sigh and say, "it's not what you think. I know it looks weird, but we are just friends."

"I know you both and there is nothing just friendly about that." Zayn smirks at me.

"Shut it." I almost tell Zayn that he doesn't know anything considering he was in love with me despite knowing that I would never love him, but something stops me.

"I saw the way you were smiling. I have never seen you so happy." Of course Zayn keeps talking.

"You know better than anyone that I will never be happy with anyone." Too many things factor into me not being happy with a guy.

"Just try. That's all I'm saying." Zayn drops the subject after that.

We talk about school until everyone gets out of the water. It was nice to talk to Gigi and to get to know her. She is a fashion major like Rae. Her and Zayn met in one of their art classes. She really is a sweet girl. I'm glad Zayn has her.

I watch as Niall comes walking up to me as soon as he exits the water. I want to be flattered, but I know it means nothing to him. Time to get him wasted. The sooner he passes out the sooner I can find a guy to hook up with and forget about Niall. I'm a real classy person.

"Louis said something about a cake," Niall says, interrupting Zayn, Gigi, and I.

"Of course there is cake." I smile up at Niall.

We make our way back over to the picnic tables. Liam walks over to the firepit and to the volleyball court to tell everybody that we are cutting the cake. Harry grabs the cake out of the cooler and sets it in front of Niall. It's a chocolate double fudge cake or something. I don't know if it's good. I was craving chocolate when I ordered the cake. Hopefully it won't be too rich. As everyone circles around Niall we put the candles in and light them. We sing Niall the happy birthday song and then he blows the candles out. Niall has a big smile on his face once he blows the candles out. I wonder what he is thinking. Did he make a wish or does he even believe in that type of thing?