Chapter 60

About a half hour later Niall is wheeled back into the hospital room. He seems to be more alert, but not in any pain. I watch closely as Niall gets back into the bed. I look over at the guy who brought Niall back.

"Dr. Neilson will be in to talk with you as soon as he gets the results." The guy says before quickly leaving the room.

I look back over at Niall with a smile. I push the little confession he made out of my mind.

"How are you feeling?" I ask.

"Pretty good. No pain at all." Niall smiles widely.

"That's good to hear. You can go back to sleep if you want." I offer, so Niall doesn't feel obligated to stay awake and talk to me.

"I think I'm good." Niall looks around the room for a moment. "You can sleep if you want to."

"I'm not tired." I let out a loud laugh. "I have just been literally sitting around. I'm not in pain or the one who played most of a soccer game."

"Football." Niall corrects me and I roll my eyes. "Stress is pretty exhausting though and you have been pretty stressed."

"I wasn't-" I cut myself off when I see doubt all over Niall's face. No point in lying. "Okay, I have been extremely stressed."

"Why?" Niall asks so simply.

"What do you mean why?" I hesitantly ask.

"Why are you so stressed about me getting hurt? You obviously don't want to be with me, so why do you care so much about me." I can tell that Niall is trying to hide the hurt he feels.

"I will always care about you, Niall. You have played a very important role in my life." I take a deep breath. "And even if I didn't care about you I wouldn't want you to get hurt." I feel myself starting to become emotional. "What kind of person do you think I am?"

"You have been trying to prove to me that I don't know you anymore. I'm starting to think that's true." Niall shrugs his shoulders.

That's not true. Niall still knows me better than anyone. He has made that obvious time and time again. Should I tell Niall this? Yes, but I can't. I feel so much hurt from what he said and what he is implying.

"I have to go make a phone call." I make up an excuse to leave the hospital room before Niall sees me cry.

As I walk out I hear Niall say, "come on, Jess. That's not what I meant."

I walk out of the room fighting back tears. It's silly that I keep letting Niall upset me. I start to walk down the hall, but I stop when I hear my name being called.

"Jess!" I turn around to Rae smiling at me. "We have been trying to find Niall's room for five minutes."

"You should have called me." I look away, hoping that no one can tell that I was about to burst into tears.

"I texted you." Rae looks at me skeptically. "Aren't you out here looking for us?"

I finally pull my attention off Rae and see Harry and Louis staring at me. All three of them giving me a questioning look.

"I was actually on my way to find a caffeinated beverage. I am getting a little tired." I force out a fake yawn.

"I'm sure a nurse could get you something." Louis answers as he gives me a weird look.

"Nurses are way too busy to run and get me drinks." A silence settles and I feel my friends becoming curious. "Shall we go see Niall?"

They all slowly nod their heads, so I lead them to Niall's room. It only takes a second since I barely took any steps. As we walk back into the room Niall starts talking.