Chapter 41

Niall P.O.V

To say I am excited to finally be sitting down for Thanksgiving dinner is an understatement. Yesterday after Jess and my little flour fight and awkward make out session in the bathroom we were put to work. I had to help with getting the turkey ready to marinate and I had no clue what I was doing. Louis kept laughing at me. All he had to do was put dough for the rolls on a pan so they could rise. Jess finished helping with the pies. After all of our hard work I am excited to eat. We all take our seats and wait for John to bring the carved turkey into the dining room.

Louis leans over and says, "pace yourself, mate. You will get full super fast, but both of the aunts expect you to eat at least one serving of everything on the table."

"I think I have been preparing for this day since I was born, I just didn't know it." Jess hears me and laughs at my joke.

Todd starts a slow clap when John walks out of the kitchen with the turkey. I like Todd, he is a hilarious guy. Jess described her family as stuck up and judgemental, but Todd is the opposite. I think his wife must think he is nuts from half the things he says.

"Let's pray and then dig in," John says.

While one of Jess' cousins says the prayer I look over at Jess. Her hands are in her lap and her head is bowed, but she is looking around at all the food. She looks like she is making a plan. I elbow her softly and raise my shoulders. Jess smiles at me and mouths the words "making a game plan." She looks back at the food and I have to bite my lip from laughing. When the prayer is finally over Jess gets to work. She starts dishing up some type of green bean dish on her plate.

"Let me make you a plate," Jess says while holding a spoonful of the green bean stuff.

"Okay," I hesitantly agree.

I watch as Jess dishes up our plates. I notice that she gives me slightly bigger portion sizes. When our plates are completely full she looks around the table and makes sure she hasn't forgotten a single dish. A laugh slips from me and she looks over at me.

"I told you Thanksgiving dinner was serious. Now eat up." She hands me my plate and then starts eating her food.

The room is quiet as everyone starts eating. I follow Jess' lead and start to eat. I taste a little bit of everything trying to figure out what I do and don't like. Halfway through dinner everyone starts talking about Sarah's wedding that is fast approaching.

"Jess, we are going to go get your dress fitted on Saturday," Sarah informs Jess.

"Yoy haven't gotten that done yet?" Karen says shocked. You can see the panic rising within her.

"Sorry mom, but my maid of honor is a very busy woman." As Sarah says this I about choke on the roll I am eating.

Jess looks over at me amused. She knows that I find it a surprise that she is the maid of honor. She doesn't believe in marriage, but she will celebrate them? That seems odd to me.

"Don't worry, Aunt Karen! Everything will turn out all right." Jess smiles at her aunt.

"I swear you two should never be allowed to be in charge of anything together. You wait until the last second to do absolutely everything," Karen complains.

"Mom, don't swear in front of the kids," Sarah teases.

"Your humor won't get you out of this mess." Karen scolds her daughter. 

"When is the big day?" I ask trying to help Sarah out.

"Two weeks from Saturday." Sarah shoots me a grateful smile. "Oooh, you should come! I mean if Jess wants you to come."