Chapter 58

Walking out into the night air seems to clear my mind. Realization hits me like a ton of bricks. I am about to willingly get into a car with Niall. This will be good though. This will give me a chance to get to know Niall as a friend. A chance to see what he has been up to the last couple years. I turn to our friends before I get into Niall's car. I give them a small wave and tell them that I will meet them at Louis'. I climb into the car as I watch Niall talk to our friends. They all have serious expressions. Niall seems to put his hands up in surrender. I know that they are all telling Niall not to screw this up. I'm grateful for them for protecting me, but I can handle this. Niall waves at them and then walks around to the driver seat. I watch as he climbs into the car. He looks over and gives me a nervous grin. Niall starts his car and a upbeat song starts to play. The lights die down and the words to the song become clear. I look over at Niall and start to fantasize about his scruffy face slowly brushing across my skin. Somehow sexual tension arises. I blame this on the music, lights, and lack of sex I have had.

"So Niall, how is living in London?" I quickly try to change my thoughts.

"Its been okay. I love London, but it's just never felt like home. Even when I first started university I was never truly happy, so the last two years haven't been the best." Niall somehow manages to say this with a lightness in his voice. As if he didn't just admit to something depressing.

"What about football? Please tell me that you are enjoying it." I look over at him with pleading eyes.

"I love playing football professionally. I love the coaches, my teammates, and the fans." A small smile appears on Niall's face.

"What's the paycheck like?" I ask trying to get Niall to laugh, which I do. "I looked it up online, but I don't understand how money works here."

"The paycheck is really nice." Niall admits with a bigger smile. "It took me a little longer to finish school though. I stopped taking as many credits."

"Did you take anymore writing classes?" Niall was a good writer. I hope he didn't give up.

"I started one, but ended up dropping it. It just wasn't the same without you." Niall looks over at me.

"Too bad." I look out the window for a second. "What have you been up to for the last two and half years? What is your life like?"

"What's with the twenty questions?" Niall asks while laughing.

"I just want to know what you have been up to. I'm trying to figure out who you are now!" I'm trying to be your friend, dummy.

"Lots of training and studying. My teammates love to party and I somehow got roped into it. I actually like going to the club. Listening to music and drinking a beer." Niall explains, but I already knew those things.

"Anything else? Do you like your stepdad now?" So far Niall seems exactly the same, which isn't a bad thing.

"Yes, I like my stepdad. I have really gotten to know him the last two years. He is madly in love with my mum. He takes care of her and understands her." Niall's smile grows and I find myself smiling. "That's all I can really ask for."

"Does he still bribe you with things?" Niall laughs and shakes his head no. "So I have a weird personal question for you."

"Ask away. I will tell you anything." Niall glances over at me.

"Are you still a born again virgin?" I sort of just blurt out.

"Uh, yeah. Technically I still am." Niall admits and I gasp. "No, not like that.  I haven't done anything with any girls. I just sort of think the whole thing is silly now. I'm not a virgin no matter what anyone says."