34

Angel

"Angel everything's gonna be fine..." Stephanie and Dave coached me as we stood outside the restaurant I was supposed to meet my mother at.

It's been two weeks since everything happened and my mother wanted to meet with me ASAP, but I told her I wanted to wait until I was ready. I found out that after she relocated to Georgia, she moved again recently to New York to try to find me.

As Dave and Stephanie walked me into the diner, we sat down at a booth. My legs was shaking. My nerves were all over the place as they both reassured that everything would be okay.

After 15 minuets of waiting for her, I got up. "Y'all, I can't do this..." I stated walking away.

"Angel?..." I stopped in my tracks.

I turned around and was met with a beautiful brown skinned woman.

We locked eyes. I looked at her. She was still as beautiful as I remembered. She still looked the same, just a little more mature. Still as fashionable as ever.

"Angel... I-It's me... Caroline." I just looked at her. I couldn't move. I couldn't speak. The only thing I could do was think.

She walked up to me and pulled me into a huge hug and squeezed me tight. I was thrown off. My mother never hugged me. She never showed any affection towards me. I didn't move. I didn't hug her back.

I closed my eyes taking in her White Diamond perfume that I loved to smell as a kid.

She pulled back and touched my face. "Ohhh you have a little bundle of joy! Awe... You're just as beautiful as I remember..." She smiled as tears rolled down her face, messing her nicely done makeup up.

"Um we're going to give you guys some time alone..." Stephanie spoke up. "Angel we'll be right over there okay?" David pointed to the booth that was directly across the room. I nodded my head as they walked away.

"You wanna um sit?" She gestured to me. I sat down in the booth and she sat across from me.

She stared at me and I stared at her.

God it was like I was looking at myself in the mirror...

"How've you been?" She smiled at me. I just put my head down. She sighed and put my hands in hers.

"Angel, I know why we're here. I know you're a busy woman and I'm not going to waste any of your time. I just want you to hear me out..." Her voice cracked.

"I was 15 when I found out I was pregnant with you. My mother was on drugs and she was very abusive towards me, so was my father. When I told her, she nearly beat me to death. I almost lost you... Your father thought that it was best if we run off together. I didn't have any money and I was out of options. So, I chose to go with him. That was the worst decision of my life... We got an apartment, and everything was fine for a minute. Throughout my pregnancy, I noticed him change... He was fidgety all the time. And he has these insane mood swings. It only got worse after I had you."