Part 8

*Rye’s POV* (By the way sorry for normally doing it in Andy’s POV lol)

I couldn’t help it. When I found out that Andy was getting married...it crushed me. There was always something in me that knew that we would never be together because of the Inhumane Laws, but I always had the slightest bit of hope. But Andy’s marriage destroyed any hope that was left inside of me.

He was getting married, and he didn’t even bother to tell me. So he just continued to lead me on, making me think I had some sort of chance. But it’s not like he knew what he was doing. It’s not like he loves me like I love him. That would make him a freak...like me. But he’s not a freak, he’s perfect.

So I did the best thing I thought I could do. I tried cutting him out of my life. I ignored every text message he sent me, no matter how much I was dying to reply to him. His calls were getting so tempting to answer that I had to shut my phone off in order to ignore him. He was my entire life, and now I am slowly destroying it.

I don’t care if this ends up killing me, I have to do it. The only way for Andy to live a happy life, is if I’m not in it. He deserves someone better, like Clytte. At least that marriage is legal. He would never love me enough to risk being sent to the City of Misery. And that’s okay. I will be fine as long as he’s happy.

Who am I kidding? I will never be okay with this. Forget all that cliché bullcrap where the main character of a story says I’m happy as long as you are happy. I will never be happy without Andy. He is the reason my happiness even exists.

And now he’s the reason that I am dying inside.

My thoughts were interrupted by a locker slamming right beside me. I looked to my right to see a familiar face, but I don’t remember the unimportant name. It might be James, but I’m not sure. “Hurry up Beaumont,” he said with a slight smile, “coach said if you’re late again, you’ll be running the field all throughout practice.”

With that, he picked up his football cleats, and left the locker room. I pulled my light jumper over my head and started looking through my locker for my T-shirt. I found it, and grabbed my cleats before running outside towards the field. I couldn’t risk being late again.

“Beaumont,” the coach yelled angrily as I made my way towards him, “you can’t play sports shoeless and shirtless.”

“Sorry, sir. I didn’t want to be late,” I said with a look that was begging him to let it slide.

“Well, you aren’t here on time unless you are here ready to play, Princess,” he said while he crossed his arms over his chest.

“Well I was working on World History,” I lied, “because you said if my grades start slacking, I won’t get to play.” He rolled his eyes and nodded at me before signalling for me to hurry up. I quickly got my cleats and shirt on before standing up ready to play.

“Beaumont, get in the goalie position,” Coach yelled at me right as I stood up. I nodded my head as I reached over to put the neon vest on that signified that I was the goalie. After I slipped it over my body, I made my way over to my position.

The entire practice was going fine except for the fact that I kept thinking about Andy. He wanted to talk to me after practice. It’s surely going to be about me ignoring him, and I don’t really have a good excuse ready for him. I have no idea how I am supposed to get out of this.

Each time I would start thinking about the subject, I would miss the ball and get yelled at by my coach, but I couldn’t get Andy out of my head. His perfect blonde hair. His beautiful eyes that anyone could get lost in by just one glance. His- “Rye Beaumont,” I was broken out of my thoughts and looked at my coach, “if you let one more ball get past you, you’ll be running the field, got it?”

I looked behind me to see that there was indeed a football sitting against the net. I looked back at Coach, “yes sir.” I hit my head, in attempt to try to get me to focus on the task at hand. I looked to my right for a split second to see Andy walking onto the bleachers.

I couldn’t help but stare as he moved across the bleachers, ever so gently. He quietly took his seat, and started looking through his bag for something. “Ryan,” I heard one of my teammates yell. I turned just in time to see a ball headed right for my face.

***

My eyes opened with a loud groan. My head was pounding, and my eyesight was really blurry. I tried to make out the figures gathered around me. They were all wearing either one of two of our schools colors except for one person. Andy.

“What happened,” I slurred out.

“Alright everyone. Back away,” I heard my coach’s voice say. It was actually hard to make out because of how muffled it sounded to me. My eyesight started clearing up, and I noticed the red that was all over my face. “You got hit with the ball in the face, and you fell backwards right onto the pole,” coach said with a laugh.

I just groaned in response to him as I felt vomit traveling up my throat. I looked to my right to see Andy, so I quickly swallowed the vomit so he wouldn’t see that. I thought I was keeping from embarrassing myself when I swallowed it, but I ended up choking and coughing on the spot. “You want me to take him to the nurse’s office,” James asked.

“No it’s okay I can take him,” Andy said before anyone else could say anything.

“I don’t think it’s that big of a deal,” Coach said while standing on both feet again, “get up Rye. You can keep playing.” I groggily stood up, only to get really nauseous, as my head began beating like a drum. I could feel my heart practically beating out of my chest, and Andy grabbing my arm to stable me definitely wasn’t helping to slow my breathing.

“Are you sure,” Andy asked with so much compassion in his voice that it hurt. Every little thing he did made me fall deeper and deeper in love with him. My arm was shaking excitedly just by his touch. Energy was flowing through my body as he stared at me with a worried expression on his face. “Sir, the back of his head is bleeding.”

Coach groaned as he took his hat off to rub his bald head. “Yeah, you probably should take him. Thanks Adam.”

“It’s Andy,” Andy whispered under his breath as he stared at the ground. His nervousness around people made me smile. He was always so adorable. The thing about him that didn’t make me happy was when he let people walk all over him with their rude words, especially since he believed most of the things people said about him.

When he would cower away from people’s words, letting them soak in, I wanted to pull him close and never let him go. He deserved so much better than the crap he got at this school.

I felt my legs start moving before realizing that Andy was pulling me along by my arm. I begrudgingly followed him into the school building. Oh no. We were finally alone. He looked me in the eyes before he began talking. “Rye…”

A/N- I'm dead!! Rye is killing me!! And oh my gosh RT's new cover!!! Anyway please vote and comment!! Thanks!!xx