Part 33

*Rye’s POV*

“Take a seat,” a man said without taking his eyes off of the needle in his hand.

“Woah woah woah. What do you need that for,” I asked in a panicked voice while staring at the needle that must’ve been longer than my forearm.

“Just in case the DNA we get from your mouth doesn’t work. Now take a seat.” I gulped in nervousness as I sat down in the seat. It was still warm from the last person that had been sitting in it. I tried to calm my shaking hands, only resulting in my leg to begin shaking.

“Okay, name?”

I gulped and turned my head to face the man. “Um, Ryan. Ryan Beaumont.”

“Ok Ryan, any allergies?”

“Uh, I-I don’t think so.” I gulped once more, wiping my sweaty hands on my jeans.

“Ok. Now have you kissed anyone since the last time you brushed your teeth?”

“Wh-what,” I asked in nervousness, staring at the man. He looked at me with a confused facial expression, probably wondering why I was so nervous about that question.

“It’s a simple question, Ryan. Have you or have you not?”

“My soulmate is dead, how would I have kissed anyone recently,” I said with an awkward chuckle, trying my best to make it seem like I thought that was the craziest idea in the world.

“So is that a ‘no’?”

“Yeah, that’s a ‘no’.”

“Okay, so I’m going to rub the cotton swab on the inside of your cheek, I’ll put it in the machine, and then I’ll tell you whether you’re allowed to leave or not.” I nodded my head at his words as he picked up a cotton swab. He moved his rolling chair over to where I was sitting and motioned for me to open my mouth.

I did what he was telling me with my breathing picking up pace with every second of this. My heart was racing faster than ever before, and my body felt more tensed up than it has all the rest of my life put together. My hands squeezed the arm rests beneath me, trying my best to keep calm.

The soft material scraped against my inner cheek for a couple seconds before being pulled out of my mouth. I leaned up, with heavy breathing and sweat beading up on my forehead, to watch the man scrape the saliva  from the cotton swab onto the machine. As it began doing its work, I turned to look at all of the people in line after me.

Andy was the first in line, and he was watching me so intensely, almost as if he were the one being tested. My eyes drifted over to Mikey in the other line, and he looked like an absolute mess. He kept moving backwards in the line, letting other people get in front of him whenever they pleased. I pray to God that he’ll be okay.

“Okay, Ryan.” The voice broke me out of my thoughts, and I turned my head to look at him. “The scanning is over, and you’re good to go. You’re DNA didn’t match any that was on the pillar.”

“Wait, it didn’t,” I asked in a much too shocked voice than necessary. He nodded his head while picking up a small piece of paper.

"No, now all I need from you is a hair sample and a fingerprint, and then you can leave." He reached up and quickly yanked a strand of hair from my head. I reached my hand up and rubbed the spot in pain. Next, he got an ink pad, and I pressed my thumb onto it before also pressing my thumb to the piece of paper he was holding.

"Why do you need those things," I asked in confusion.

"If the DNA tests aren't enough to help us find the two young men, we'll have to broaden the search by using fingerprints and hair samples." He put the DNA sample, the paper with the fingerprint, and the strand of hair all in a bag together and sat it on a pile with the others. I sat there awkwardly as he turned around and began writing on a piece of paper.