Part 48

*Rye’s POV*

I paced back in forth in the hallway with the phone pressed against my ear. After the final ring, it went to Harvey’s voicemail again. I cursed under my breath before leaving another message. “Harvey, yeah it’s me again. I really want to know about Mikey’s situation, and what you can do for it. Please call me back, mate.” I pulled the phone away and angrily pressed the red button near the bottom of the screen before shoving it into my pocket.

I walked back over to the door for Andy’s mum and opened it quietly. Andy and his brother were still around their mum’s bed. Neither of them had wanted to go to their dad’s room, so apparently, they must’ve had problems with him. Andy turned his head to look at me as I walked in. I shut the door behind me while Andy began speaking. “Has Harvey told you anything yet?”

I sighed while walking over and taking the seat beside Andy. “No, he’s still not answering any of my calls so I’m not sure what’s going on. In other news, have you heard anything from the police about what they think may have happened to your parents?”

Andy leaned closer to the bed as he spoke this time, taking his mum’s hand in his own while doing so. “They both had a few bullets in them, so they’re guessing there was some sort of robbery.”

“So how did they get to the hospital then?”

Andy sat there for a second, thinking about his answer to the question before looking at me and shrugging. “They obviously didn’t call the police, or the house would’ve been blocked off from me as a crime scene. But if they were both shot, neither one of them could’ve driven the other to the hospital. So either, someone had to drive them, or they drove even though they had just been shot.”

“Maybe it wasn’t just a robbery like the police think. Maybe there’s something more to it.”

Andy and his brother both looked at each other with questionable faces before Andy stood up and walked over to the door. He peeked outside and looked both ways before turning around and shutting the door again. “There was this one movie dad would always watch when we were kids, and the dad of the family was psychotic and ended up killing his wife. How he did it was he shot the wife in the house, drove to the hospital, and once he was at the hospital, he shot himself too.”

Andy’s brother nodded while walking over to the seat across from us. “Yeah, and since he waited so long to get the mum help, she was in intensive care for a bit but ended up dying, and he survived.”

I ran my hands through my hair, being as stressed out as I was, before looking from one boy to the other as I spoke. “So you guys actually think he’d do something like that?”

Andy shrugged as his gaze moved over to his mother. “All I’m saying is that I wouldn’t be the slightest bit surprised if he did do that. They’ve always hated each other, and he’s threatened to do pretty bad things to her in the past.”

I shook my head while averting my eyes to my fiddling hands in my lap. “Dads can be real frickin messed up sometimes.”

They both nodded at my words before we all grew silent. We spent the next few hours sometimes bringing up lighter subjects, but mainly it was just Andy being worried about his mum’s help the entire time. There were a few times when the doctors ran us out of the room because apparently, something really bad was happening to her, and her heart has stopped three different times since we’ve been here. They already told us the chances of her surviving are slim, and it has been tearing Andy apart ever since he found that out.

It was around ten in the morning when Andy fell asleep with his head against his mum’s bed so I silently stood and crept out of the room. I walked down the busy hospital hallway before getting to the room I despised most. I stared at the door for a few seconds before finally gaining enough courage to open the door. The TV was on quite loudly, and the man in the bed was snoring peacefully.