Part 35

*Rye’s POV*

Andy looked as if he was about to sob with the people crowded around him, and the machines beeping to fill the air as well. I knew his DNA would be on the pillar from the start. I was hoping it wouldn’t be, but I knew deep down it would. But I thought that the rain would’ve gotten rid of the remains of his DNA from when it all happened.

It was over a month ago, so I thought maybe a miracle would happen.

He didn’t know that I saw what happened that day, and he had no idea that I was just too scared to do anything. I didn’t want to possibly get in a fight and lose. I would lose all of the respect that I worked so hard to gain. People would take me as a joke.

But I think back to that day a lot. I watched from afar as Andy’s face was smashed against the pillar. I saw them as Jeremy spun Andy around. I watched as he punched him over and over again, and I did nothing. Jack was the one who had saved Andy. He was the one who pushed Jeremy away. He managed to somehow get Jeremy’s posse to back off.

After he helped Andy off of the ground, I’ll never forget the look he gave me. The look of pure hatred and disgust. He saw me for the weakling I was. The coward I tried so hard to hide from everyone. But I am a coward. I’ve been a coward since the day I was born. But it only started to show after my older brother was taken.

He was the one who would protect my mum from my dad’s drunken rampages. And after my mum was murdered, he was the one who protected me, and helped feed my little brothers. But when he was 17, he got caught with another guy. He was taken from my family, and I had to become the new protector. But I was never fit to be a protector. I’m not strong enough for that.

And maybe if I would’ve  been strong enough to do something about Andy, if I would’ve been brave enough to do absolutely anything, maybe he wouldn’t be having to take the polygraph test right now.

“Mr. Beaumont.” I was broken out of my thoughts by a recognized voice, and I turned to see the headmaster walking in my direction. “How did your test go?”

I turned my body to face him with a gulp, knowing that he had an alternate reason for being here. “It went well. I mean, I’m still here, right?” I awkwardly chuckled at the end of my sentence, and he gave me a weak smile in return.

“Well, do you know where Mikey Cobban is? Apparently he hasn’t taken the test yet, and I can’t seem to find him, but his car is still in the parking lot.” What? Mikey’s gone? My eyes immediately moved around the room, and I saw the place where Mikey had been in line was now taken by someone else. He didn’t take the test. But how did he leave without taking it? The guards wouldn’t allow that.

Realizing that I was still standing in front of the headmaster, probably whispering to myself, I moved my eyes back to his to answer his question. “No, I haven’t seen him, but I’ll call him to see where he is.”

“Okay, thank you, Mr. Beaumont.” He nodded his head at me and then turned to walk away again. I nervously scrambled to get my phone out of my pocket and sent a quick text to Mikey, telling him that I need to talk to him.

I turned back to where Andy was sitting to see him still nervously answering questions. The doctor that was with him looked like he was obviously annoyed. I hope to God that he gets out of this with no problem.

*Andy's POV*

“You're making this really difficult, Andrew. Just answer the question.” He looked at me and then back at the machine that was marking down the results of my heart rate. “Answer honestly. Have you ever felt attracted to a male?”