Part 37

*Rye’s POV*

“Oh shut up.” I laughed while I bounced up out of the water just enough to put a hand on each of Andy’s shoulders to push him down under. He came back up with his mouth full of water and spit it right in my face. “Andy, what the hell?” We both began laughing as I wiped my face off. I looked at the sky, seeing that it was starting to get dark, and we should probably both be going home, but I didn’t want to leave him just yet.

We slowly swam over to the shallow end of the pool, and we sat down on the bottom of the steps to get out. It was completely silent except for the soothing noise of the peaceful waterfall. The lights inside of the pool turned on, and it immediately seemed like a much more cliché moment than it had been before. I’m with the boy I’m in love with alone, half naked, and now there are lights to make it seem almost romantic.

“Hey, Ryan?” I turned my head to look at Andy, who had disturbed the peaceful silence we had been sitting in. I raised my eyebrows at him, signifying that he can continue his question. “Why don’t you want me saying anything about your home situation to anyone?”

I sighed as I spun my finger around in the water, trying to avoid eye contact with the boy. “Just because, okay. It’s personal stuff, and I don’t want anyone else knowing about it.”

“Ryan, it’s never going to get better if-”

“You don’t think I know that, Andy?” I took a deep breath and lowered my voice, knowing that he was really just worried about me. “I’m sorry. I get you’re just trying to help. I get you just care. I just- I can’t-” I sighed, still staring down at the water to avoid eye contact with him.

“Hey, it’s okay.” His voice was so soft. So comforting. So soothing. He moved closer to me, and his hand landed on my shoulder. My eyes looked at his hand and travelled up his arm until landing on his face. He stared into my eyes and continued to speak in that same loving and accepting voice. “I get that you’re scared to let anyone know about this. A lot of people consider letting domestic abuse to take place to be a sign of weakness. But that’s not what it is, Ryan. You’re not weak. You’re just worried. That’s okay. You’ll get through this. And I’ll be here with you through it.”

I smiled at his words, still staring him in the eyes. His gorgeous eyes. So engulfing. Sometimes I feel like when I stare into them, I’ll never be able to pull myself away. My eyes just can’t seem to avert themselves.

But that wasn’t the case this time. My eyes continued travelling his face, until landing on his soft-looking pink lips. They were practically begging for me to kiss them. I could feel my head moving in closer to him. I knew it was wrong, and I know that my secret will be out, but there was no stopping it now. All I want is Andy. He’s all I’ve ever wanted, and I can’t keep myself from doing this. He needs to know how I feel, and if I get sent to the City Of Misery, so be it. All I care about right now is him.

Andy closed his eyes, and started leaning in as well. I closed my eyes, knowing what was happening. What was finally happening. After years of waiting. I’m finally going to kiss Andy Fowler. Andy Fowler. My heart began racing a million miles an hour, just thinking about what was about to happen between us. I felt my nose brush against the side of his, and his breath hit my lips.

This is it.

“What the hell?!” I ripped my head away from Andy and whipped my head around to look at the deck of the house. The old man that I recognized as the owner of the house was staring down at us with a disgusted look on his face. “You disgusting faggots! I’m calling the police!” He turned around and speed walked back into his house.

“Shit, come on, Andy! We gotta go, now!” I swam as fast as I could to the edge of the pool and quickly lifted myself out of it. I turned around and grabbed Andy’s hand to pull him out after me. Once we were both out, I ran to where our bags and clothes were. Knowing there wasn’t much time, I just grabbed my clothes and shoved them in my bag before doing the same with Andy’s clothes.