Part 24

*Rye’s POV*

I walked into the living room, away from Andy and my two little brothers, following Mrs. Fowler. She sat down on the couch and motioned for me to take a seat beside her, which I did as I nervously gulped and stared down at my hands.

“Rye,” she started, gaining my full attention. “The reason your brothers are here is because they were trespassing on our property.”

“I am so sorry about that, Mrs. Fowler. I’ve told them not to-”

She cut me off by putting her hand on my shoulder and staring into my eyes. “That wasn’t the full problem, Ryan. The problem was that they were digging through our trash, and when I asked them why, they said that they were looking for food.”
My cheeks heated in embarrassment, and I quickly jerked my head to the side. I stared at the floor, hoping that she wasn’t going to harass me for not being a good older brother.

“Ryan, don’t be embarrassed. I know about the situation you’re in, and I just want you to know that you boys can come to me at any time for help. If you ever need anything, you can get help from our family. We have plenty to offer.”

I looked at her with the realest smile I could form at the moment as I nodded at her words. She stood back up, and I followed her actions, standing up as well. “Do you want dinner while you’re here,” she asked with a warm smile.

“No, it’s fine. If I stay, my dad will kill…” I faded out while viewing the woman’s now unhappy face, and decided to change my answer. “Yes, dinner would be amazing, thank you.”

She smiled at me once more, walking into the kitchen. I sat in the open chair beside Andy awkwardly, and there was the noise of a door opening. I looked to where the noise came from, and after a few seconds, a large man entered the room, obviously Andy’s father.

Without saying a word to anyone, he sat down at the end of the table and pulled a newspaper out, ignoring everyone around him. “Harold, this is Ryan, Andy’s Spanish tutor,” Mrs. Fowler said while motioning to me.

“Andy’s tutor,” he asked in disbelief, randomly slamming the paper down on the table. “Why the hell do you need a tutor? I thought you said your grades weren’t falling anymore. Did you lie to me?”

My eyes quickly moved over to Andy, who sunk down in his chair in fear. He gulped while nervously answering his father’s questions. “No I didn’t lie to you, s-sir. I just failed a quiz we had recently. That’s why I need a tutor.”

“It’s a damn quiz, Andy! How do you fail a Spanish quiz? The professor gives you a paper to study, you study it, and then you pass the damn quiz. What about all of the shit I said is so hard for you to understand?”

Andy bit his lower lip while staring into the table. The look on his face and in his eyes was completely heartbreaking. If he were to try to respond right now, he would probably cry. I shifted awkwardly in my seat as Andy’s mother sat a plate in front of me. “Harold, calm down. He tries as hard as he can.”

“No, if he tried, he would be passing the class!” He stood from the table angrily, yanking up his now crumpled up newspaper. “Sorry you are stuck dealing with this piece of shit,” he directed to me while shoving his chair backwards violently. Without another word, he stormed passed Andy and down the hallway, slamming a door not long after.

Mrs. Fowler sighed while putting down a towel she had been holding. “You boys enjoy your dinner. And Andy, please clean up the kitchen once everyone leaves.” Andy nodded in response, still staring down at the table saying nothing.

Mrs. Fowler left the room to join Mr. Fowler, and there was immediate yelling coming from the other room. I felt completely out of place eating this food and being in this house, especially with Andy beside me on the verge of tears.

“I-I’m gonna go,” I said while standing up. “Tell your mum thanks for me.”

“No, you don’t have to leave,” he choked out before cursing under his breath. He cleared his throat before speaking again. “I’m fine. You’re fine. Everything’s fine. You can just eat your food.”

I nodded with a smile, knowing it would be even more awkward if I didn’t stay, so I sat back down in my chair. The twins were now eating their second plate of lasagna as I began to eat mine. The voices of Andy’s parents still rang throughout the house as I awkwardly continued eating my food.

I didn’t say another word to Andy for the rest of the time I was at his house, not knowing what to say, and not feeling like I deserved to get to say anything to him. I made him think I hated him, and he still does think that. How was I to comfort him or try to lighten the mood when he thinks I don’t give a shit about him?

The answer is, I couldn’t. And I won’t. Maybe soon, I’ll be able to tell him the truth. Not the complete truth, but I need to at least tell him that I definitely don’t hate him.

***

“RYAN FUCKING BEAUMONT,” right when I heard the words leave his mouth, I shoved my brothers backwards, and they stumbled down the porch stairs.

“Go across the street and hang out with the neighbors for a bit,” I whispered at them forcibly. They both nodded and ran across the street like I told them to.

Right when I turned back around to face the house, the door flung open, and I was met with the same bloodshot cold eyes as always. “Where the hell have you been,” he yelled while yanking me by my arm into the house. I stumbled inside, only catching myself with the wall as the door slammed behind me.

“I was at a friend’s house eating dinner,” I said with a gulp.

His eyes filled with more hatred and anger than before, and he slammed his fist against the wall right beside my head, successfully punching right through it. I flinched downwards, but he quickly pulled me back up by my hair.

Slamming me against the wall, he yelled again. “You eat our fucking food, we don’t need charity!”

With that I shoved him away from me, anger coursing through my veins. “What food, dad? You don’t know how to support your fucking family! You don’t know how to feed us! What food are we supposed to eat when you don’t even care enough to fill one fucking drawer!”

His eyes darkened with even more anger than before as he took a step closer to me. I stepped back against the wall again, gulping, with fear taking over my entire body. I have never stood up for myself in my life, and now that I finally did, I’m sure that he will make me regret it.

A/N- Hey… thank you so much for reading!! And for getting this book to frickin 20K!! That’s incredible!!! I cannot thank y’all enough!! Anyway please vote and comment!! Your support means the world to me!! Thanks!!xx