Chapter 4

My eyes fluttered open slowly while adjusting to the light in the room. It took me a couple of seconds to find out that I was in Evelyn's house in her guest bed. I sat up quickly. Oh my gosh, what happened last night? All I remember is passing out and now here I am? I looked down at what I was wearing and it was my pajamas from last night and the fuzzy socks that Leo gave me rested on my feet.
"Morning."
I jumped at Evelyn's voice.
"Geez, why are you so jumpy?" She mumbled as she walked towards me.
"Why am I here? What happened last night?" I groaned while rubbing my head.
"You don't remember?" Evelyn furrowed her eyebrows as she sat down on the bed. I shook my head hopelessly.
Evelyn sighed, "Well, you fainted and then Leo carried you inside."
I cut in, "Wait. Leo carried me inside?"
"Yes. Can I continue?" She mumbled. I bit my lip and nodded.
"Well, you see, you had a really high fever last night so I asked Leo to help me take you to my house. So he carried you all the way over here. He was really nice about the whole thing. You should really thank him next time you see him." She smiled slightly.
"I thought you said you didn't like him." I mumbled with my eyebrows raised.
"I dont. I just said he's nice. Especially for you." She raised her eyebrows. I threw a pillow at her as she said that and she almost got knocked off the bed.
-
Today is the first day back at school after the christmas holidays and I haven't seen Leo since I fainted. I couldn't help but feel a bit anxious to see him today, but I really don't know why.
I decided to skip the bus today and instead I just walked which was refreshing. Since my school is a uniformed school, I save a lot of time from not picking an outfit which is nice in some ways.

I appeared at school and I began walking in when I spotted Leo a little ahead of me. Instantly my stomach flipped as soon as I saw him with his school uniform on, which made me anxious. Gosh I shouldn't be anxious. I began walking up to him when I saw a girl named Amanda walk up to him. I paused in my steps and I sighed. I know Amanda. Evelyn and I hate her with a passion. Mainly because she would always make fun of me and Evelyn but also because when we were younger, she tripped me in front of the whole class during a science fair and I ended up knocking down about five different projects. It was so unfair that someone so mean could also be so pretty at the same time.
I shook my nerves off and I passed by Leo and Amanda.
"Hey, Marlie!" Leo said behind me. I turned around and saw him say something quickly to Amanda before he jogged towards me, "I didn't see you on the bus." He smiled. Amanda gave me a mean look but I didn't care. It's not like I called Leo over here.
"Oh right. I just wanted some fresh air." I smiled weakly.
"Are you okay about that night? I meant to call you or text you, but I didn't have your number."
"Thank you, by the way." I said way too loudly. I looked around a lowered my voice," I heard that you carried me a couple of blocks and I'm just really thankful."
A smile spread across his face," Anytime. Now what about your number?"

"My number?" I looked up at him dumbly, "Oh right! My number."

I reached into my pocket (yes, my school skirt has pockets Cool, right?) and I pulled out my phone and I passed it to him, our hands touching in the process. He smiled over as he put his number in and then he passed my phone back.

"Oh, by the way, why aren't you wearing a tie?" He asked me. My hand instantly went up to my neck and I groaned in annoyance. I must've forgotten it at home. This has to be the worst. Normally whoever forgets a tie has is scolded that day.

Leo seemed to sense this expression on my face because he started to take off his tie without me noticing.
I watched as he slid it over my neck and he started picking up my collar so he could put it on.
"What..." I paused, "Are you doing?"
"Giving you my tie." He mumbled as he tied it perfectly.
"But, you'll get scolded." I mumbled.
"Doesn't matter. Better me than you right?" He smiled as he patted me on the head before he started to walk into the school.
I paused for a couple of seconds until I realized what just happened, "Wait for me!" I called as I jogged after him.
-
Turns out that the teacher gave Leo a pass since its his first real day and I was extremely thankful. I would've felt terrible if he had gotten in trouble because of me. When the teacher let him go with a warning, he looked over to me and gave me a thumbs up almost instantly. I gave a thumbs up back and Evelyn shook her head.
"I still have a bad feeling about him." Evelyn mumbled as she tapped her pen.
"But, why?" I groaned.
"I don't know! He just doesn't seem like the person he's trying to seem to be. You know?"
"No." I shrugged, "I think he's normal."
Evelyn groaned at that. Maybe I should've listened to her.

{Leo's P.O.V}

I took off my jacket once I walked into my house and I laid down while groaning. My phone rang and I reached over quickly to answer it to see it wasn't Marlie. I sighed as I put the phone to my ear.
"Hello?" I mumbled disappointedly.
"Is that how you greet your boss?" The man on the other end asked.
I didn't say anything but rather just rolled my eyes jokingly.
"Why'd you call?" I asked lazily.
"How's my daughter doing?" The man asked on the other end.
"Marlie? She's fine." I started taking off my shoes and I shrugged down.
"Remember our deal." He warned me.
"Don't worry. I won't forget. Is that all then? I'm sort of busy." I grabbed the remote control and I turned on the tv.
"I'm sure you are. Bye then." The man hung up and I looked down at the contact number before lightly tossing my phone across the room and shrugging.
-
{Marlie's P.O.V}
"Do you think my dads still out there?" I asked lazily as I played with my drink glasses.
"Maybe." Evelyn shrugged before pouring out more wine.
"How'd you even get this wine?" I mumbled, while taking little sips.
"I stole it from the twins." She shrugged.
I looked at her and swallowed the wine guiltily.
"Don't you think they'll find out?" I asked. She shrugged again," That's why we need to dispose of the waste." She poured some into her glass and I smiled.
"So," Evelyn mumbled," That Leo guy...you like him?"
I stopped drinking and I put my glass down," Pffft no."
Evelyn laughed," You're such a terrible liar."
"I'm not lying! Okay? Look, he's cute and everything but do I actually know him? No." I crossed my arms over my chest," Therefore! I don't like him."
"Whatever. Keep telling yourself that." Evelyn rolled her eyes.
I rolled mine back.
"Look, why'd you ask if you're only going to listen to what you want?" I mumbled.
"You're so blind for love, ugh." Evelyn stood up and grabbed her glass.
"Where are you going?" I groaned.
"To my room. You can sleepover or leave. But sadly I have to pass school and that means doing my homework." She said as she closed the door behind her.
"I really don't like Leo by the way!" I called out to her door.
I turned around and I grabbed my bag.
I can't like him. I just can't.