Chapter 21

I watched as an ambulance came and picked up Evelyn and Kai got to ride in the car with her. Jacky had come shortly after everything and she left to handle our flight for tonight and cancel them, since she planned everything.
I was sitting on a bench with my face in my hands, while Leo and Johnny sat on the opposite sides of me.
I was nervously tapping my foot.
"We should go to the hospital with them." I said suddenly, making the other two boys jump.
"We don't have a car. Plus, they said it wasn't a big deal. Just a few stitches." Leo assured me. I sighed, nodding along. He was right. I didn't need to worry too much.
Johnny leaned close to me so he could whisper," Did you really run and try to save her when you can't swim?"
Leo looked over towards us and I nodded.
"What was I supposed to do? Let her drown?" I raised my eyebrow.
"No, I mean. That's really brave of you." Johnny looked impressed.
"Thanks?" I looked at him weirdly.
Johnny and I were definitely really good friends, after these four years. He'd always sleepover at my house (nothing more) and I'd sleepover at his. Jacky thought it was weird for a while, but we didn't. We have a lot of things in common and our personalities sort of just match well.
Leo sighed loudly, interrupting my thoughts. I looked over at him. He was leaning back, his eyes staring at the sky. Gosh, he was so cute.
"What's wrong?" I asked him.
"Nothing. Just thinking." Leo mumbled before looking over at me.
I wonder what about.
-
It's now been almost three hours since Evelyn went to the hospital and her, Kai, and Jacky don't seem to be back yet. I've tried calling Jacky a billion times, but it just goes to voicemail.
I was now pacing back in forth with my phone in my hand.
"It's going to be fine, Marlie." Johnny said, looking a bit impatient himself.
"They haven't said anything in three hours. How could anything be okay?" I was starting to feel like I was going to cry. What if something really bad happened to Evelyn and they don't want to tell me because they know I wouldn't take it well?
I was running my hand through my hair when Leo took a step in front of me, his arms crossed. I stopped walking and instead looked up at him.
"Calm down. And take deep breaths. Evelyn only got cut on her foot. That's it." Leo nodded reassuringly.
I looked down," I know that." I mumbled," But,
She's my best friend, you know?"
"We know. But it'll be fine." Johnny nodded from where he was sitting.
"Okay." I mumbled.
Leo's phone suddenly rang and he groaned while looking down at it.
"Sorry I have to take this." He mumbled, before walking away. I crossed my arms, before sitting down next to Johnny and bringing my knees to my chest.
A couple of seconds later, Leo jogged back to where Johnny and I were.
"Sorry. That was work. Theyre calling me in for tomorrow." He said, out of breath.
"What does that mean?" I asked confusingly.
"It means that I have to leave today." He put his phone in his pocket in defeat.
"Oh." I mumbled.
Leo looked awkwardly at Johnny, before grabbing my arm and pulling me up and away so that Johnny couldn't hear him and I talking.
"I'm sorry. I feel terrible leaving you alone like this." Leo held my hand once we were away.
"It's fine. And I'm not alone. I have Johnny." I looked back at Johnny who wasn't paying attention. He respected people's privacy, for the most part.
Leo's grip on my hand got tighter at the sound of Johnny's name.
"I still feel bad." He mumbled, taking a few steps closer and swinging my arm," I'll make it up to you when you get home." He smiled cheekily.
I smiled at the sound of "when you get home" as if Leo and I live together. Which we technically do.
"Will you?" I raised an eyebrow.
Leo nodded while leaning down towards my face, looking down at my lips," For sure."
I closed my eyes, but then remembered that Johnny could be watching us and I backed away, placing a finger on Leo's lips. He looked at confusingly.
"Secret remember?" I raised my eyebrows.
Leo groaned," Does that really mean I can't kiss you until you get back?" He whined.
I raised my eyebrow, Leo's whining?
I patted him on the back," You'll live." I laughed, before walking away. Leo mumbled something under his breath before walking after me.
-
It's now almost ten at night and Leo had left an hour ago. Johnny and I are at a restaurant (not a date, I swear) and I'm drinking.
"Maybe you should cut back on the drinks." Johnny gave off a slight laugh.
"Sorry." I put my drink down, before wiping my mouth.
"It's so weird that they haven't texted us though. Or even called?" I furrowed my eyebrows.
"Right?" Johnny nodded," But im sure it's fine. Their phones probably died. And Jacky probably went to the hospital after all."
My eyes widened, "We should go." I stood up.
Johnny grabbed onto my arm and pulled me down," What happens if Evelyn really is in trouble? How will you act in the hospital?" Johnny asked.
"I don't know. I don't care." I shrugged, standing up again. Johnny again pulled me down.
"Look, if we go to the hospital right now, you won't even be able to see her. It's past visiting hours." Johnny raised his eyebrows.
I sighed," Right."
He let go of me and he leaned back.
"Want me to cheer you up?" He offered. I looked up at him questionably," How?"
-
Johnny and I were in a hotel room, and we had rented a movie. Actually, it was my favorite Disney movie, The little mermaid. We were sitting against the headboard of the bed while watching it on the tv. It was the part when Ariel first sees Prince Eric.
"Ugh you're such a kid." Johnny shook his head, digging his hand into the popcorn. I scoffed, before grabbing a handful and throwing it at him," Shut up."
"It's true." He shook some popcorn out of his hair.
"Whatever. At least I'm not you." I teased.
He grabbed a handful of popcorn now and threw it at me. I shut my eyes for the impact.
"Shut up." He mimicked me.
I laughed hard, almost dropping the popcorn on the floor.
"See? You're happy." Johnny smiled. My smile slowly flattened and I sat up straighter while looking over at him.
"Yeah, I guess so." I smiled weakly.
"Marlie," Johnny narrowed his eyes," Don't get sad on me now."
"I'm not." I picked some popcorn out of my hair.
"But, normally when people are having fun, you shouldn't point it out. It ruins it." I laughed.
"Sorry. I just like seeing you happy." Johnny pretended to sound offended.
I rolled my eyes playfully.
"By the way..." Johnny got serious without looking at me," Are you and Leo dating again?"
Why is it that Johnny can always tell whenever Leo and I are dating? I mean, Leo and I aren't official yet, but we're something. Plus, I'm supposed to keep it a secret. No jinxing.
"Um...no. Why?" I tried to make my voice sound convincing.
Johnny turned towards me, his face soft and gentle.
"I know that it didn't really work out with us. But, I still haven't gotten over you Marlie." Johnny started. I paused.
"What?" I asked dumbly.
"I know. I know." Johnny sighed," It's pathetic. I know that. But, you aren't with Leo. And I kind of thought you guys would be together after you saw him at the wedding. And since you're not, then that has to mean that you're fully over him right? So give me another chance." Johnny grabbed my hands.
I gulped. I need to tell him I'm with Leo. Otherwise, he'll take my answer as a yes.
"Johnny, I-"
He pulled my arms towards him and pushed our lips together. My eyes widened. No. No. No. This can't be happening. I would like Johnny if everything was on his personality. But, I like Leo's personality more. The type to challenge and who is understanding. I just liked Leo. With Johnny it was more of a friendship feel for sure and when we kissed there was no spark. No fireworks, you know? But with Leo, there was. And I loved that.
I lightly tried pushing him away, but he didn't seem to notice. I didn't kiss back. This felt so wrong. So so wrong.
He pulled away and I was about to tell him when my phone rang.
We both looked towards it.
Oh no.