Chapter 52

{Marlie}
I laid down on the bed, looking at the ceiling and thinking deeply. I called my mom to visit me to tell her about my marriage, which I was nervous about. Leo was working today and he couldn't make it, which is fine. I wanted to do this by myself anyway. I don't know what my mom would say in front of him.

I gulped, feeling my heart beat out of my chest.

Suddenly there was a knock at my door and I stood up quickly, almost slipping on the floor in the socks as I rushed to the front door.

I opened it quickly smiling.

"Hello." I beamed.

"You seem awfully happy." My mom raised an eyebrow, moving into the apartment.

"Well yeah." I mumbled, closing the door behind her," Can I get you anything to drink?" I asked, watching as she sat down on the couch.

"Water would be nice. Thanks." My mom said, taking off her jacket and placing it into her lap.

I poured her a glass of water before making my way over to her and sitting on the opposite side, placing the glass of water down carefully.

I gulped nervously, fixing the cushions around me.

My mom gulped down some water, glancing towards me.

"Why are you so nervous?" She eyed me.

"What?" I stopped what I was doing," I'm not."

She shook her head," Don't lie. I'm your mother. I know."

"How was your day?" I asked curiously.

"Marlie." She raised an eyebrow.

I sighed," I need to give you something."

I stood up, reaching towards my bag and grabbing an envelope. I sat down, passing it towards her with shaky hands.

She took it, opening it agonizingly slowly as my heart beat quickened.

She flipped the card over, pausing at the sight of Leo and I, along with the wedding date.

"I hope you can make it." I smiled, pointing to the date.

"You're getting married?" She asked an obvious question.

"Well, I'm already married. This is the party... it's in Hawaii. I know you've wanted to go there for a while. This can be your excuse." I smiled slightly.

She put the card down on the table and I paused, looking at her expression.

"I also wanted to tell you...David's invited also. But I'm making sure to put him far away from you. I promise you can just ignore him the whole night." I put my hand up.

"I'm not going." Her voice shook.

"What?" I mumbled.

She grabbed her bag and walked towards the door.

"Mom!" I quickly ran after her as she walked out quickly, going down the stairs.

"Mom, please stop." I felt like crying. We stepped outside to see that it was raining hard.  She turned around abruptly. The rain overhead quickly dropping onto us.

"I'm not going to stand there and witness you throwing your life away." She said sternly, walking towards me. I stepped back, feeling intimidated by her gaze.

"It's not like that."

"You're already married?" She scoffed," And you expect me to be there while your father is there?" She laughed as if it was ridiculous.
"Don't be so selfish." She said angrily.