Chapter 36

{Leo's P.O.V}
I stumbled out of Marlie's house with a pounding heart. I hit my chest lightly, trying to get the pounding to settle down, but it didn't work. Whats My body trying to tell me? I ran my hand through my hair, feeling lost. Marlies lips...are so familiar. Have I kissed her before? And why did I forget? How could I forget? I shook my head, walking away.
-
{Marlie's P.O.V}
It's been a week and a half since I've seen Leo last. He hasn't been at school, at the library, answering his phone. Nothing. How could he just disappear after running out like that? Was it really that bad?
I looked down at my ring with Leo's name on it. I wonder if he still had his own and I wondered if he asked why he had it...
I stuffed my ring in my pocket quickly, walking into the building of my class and sitting down.

"Marlie," David said, making my head look up.

"Can I speak to you for a moment?" He asked questionably. I nodded slowly, getting out of my seat and walking over to his desk.

"Yes?" I asked him questionably. Him and I still weren't close, and I doubt we'd ever be, which honestly didn't bother me. He was my dad but, he didn't grow up with me. He was a stranger, a teacher.

"Congratulations Marlie." He said, passing me an envelope. I wrinkled my face in confusion.

"On what?" I asked, while opening the envelope. I scanned the letter inside with my eyes and I screamed in excitement, jumping up and down. Some people looked over at me, but I didn't care.

If you didn't know, I want to be a photographer. It's been my dream for a while, although I don't like to mention it. Leo used to cheer me on in my photos and even pose for me sometimes as a joke. I smiled to myself, looking down at the paper.

"I didn't know you wanted to be a photographer." He said, smiling slightly. I smiled back.

"It's been a dream for a while." I said, feeling my body explode with happiness.

"Well, we'll miss you if you leave." He said it sincerely, a slight pain in his eyes. I smiled, looking over the paper again. I signed up for a program a while ago that would let me travel and take photos, then come back before graduation in a few months. I nodded towards David, before walking back to my seat, basically jumping off the walls.
-
"What are you smiling at?" Eugene said, walking up to my desk once the class was over. Him and I are sort of friends now, but in a mean way.
"It's annoying." Eugene added, looking away. He sat on my desk, holding the paper under his butt.

"Hey!" I yelled, pushing him off and he fell to the side. I grabbed the envelope and smoothed it out.

"Geez. Crazy." He groaned on the floor. I sighed, looking over at him.

"It's none of your business." I smiled teasingly, grabbing my bag and the paper before heading out.

Eugene scoffed behind me, following after," I was just asking..."
-
"That's so Great!" Johnny exclaimed, hugging me. I smiled, hugging back. I had just told them the news.

Jacky stood there was an emotionless face.

"Aren't you happy?" I asked her.

She shook her head," You can't leave me. I won't allow it." She mumbled sadly.

I rolled my eyes," I'm not leaving yet! Plus, I still haven't really decided. I have 2 weeks to decide. Plus, I'll only be gone for 3 months tops." I shrugged.

She sniffed," Still, ill miss you." She mumbled. I laughed, pulling her into a hug and patting her back like a baby.

"There, there." I jokingly said, but she didn't mind.

I pulled away from her and I looked at her and Johnny," Just promise me you guys won't tell Leo. I don't want to tell him until I'm absolutely sure. Okay?"

Johnny nodded, and Jacky nodded slowly. I smiled brightly. Things are finally looking up!

I do admit it'd hurt to leave Leo for that long, especially with Amanda Johnson, but this was my dream. If Leo still felt something for me, then he must know how important this is for me. He has to. If only I could see him. Jerk doesn't even come to class and neither does Amanda. I shook my head, running my hand through my hair.
-
It was a week later and I still haven't gotten a call or seen Leo. Our project time is running out and he's still missing. Doesn't he care about his grade? Am I the only one who cares?

I sighed while walking around campus. I needed fresh air more than anything right now. I lazily sat down on a bench and tilted my head back, feeling the sun on my face. I breathed deeply, hearing people pass by.

"Are you dead or something?" I heard someone say. I flinched, looking over towards Eugene. He's been bothering me more than usual lately.

"What do you want?" I mumbled, squinting my eyes slightly," Aren't you supposed to be in class?"

"Aren't you?" He raised his eyebrows.

I sighed loudly. "I don't feel like it right now. My back hurts, I'm tired, and I need fresh air. What about you?"

He shrugged, planting his chin on the palm of his hand while leaning on the bench," I honestly don't know..."

I looked away, hoping the conversation was done with. He was a friend, but he got on my nerves.

"I heard you're going to Rome." He stated. I looked over at him quickly.

"How'd you know?" I asked, eyes wide. He smiled slightly," I asked around."

I nodded as if understanding. He's so nosey.

"I haven't decided anyway. Maybe I'll go. Maybe I won't." I shrugged.

"You should go." He said a little bit too loudly. I looked over at him and raised an eyebrow.

"I-I mean, when else are you going to get a chance like that right?" He laughed awkwardly.

"I don't know." I mumbled again.

"Just go." Eugene said, more persistent. I scanned his face. But, would I stay if Leo asked me? I really didn't know.

I thought for a second, feeling deep in thought when suddenly Eugene looked up at someone in front of us.

"Oh, Amanda." Eugene said. I looked up also, my heart pounding. If she's here, does that mean Leo is also? But, I didn't see a Leo around her. All I saw was her snobby face.

"Eugene, Marlie." She smiled down at both of us.

"Where have  you been? We missed the wicked bitch of the West." Eugene smiled sarcastically towards her. She smiled sarcastically back.

"As I've missed my subjects." She said. Wow, nothing could bother her today. Normally she gets mad at the smallest of things. Eugene noticed this also because he raised his eyebrows.

"Are you seriously okay? Do you have a fever or something?" He asked her.

She shook her head, before looking at me. I froze. This was her first time acknowledging me this whole conversation.

"I was too busy getting engaged to come to school. Sorry." She showed her hand with a ring.

My stomach dropped.