Chapter 47

My eyes scanned over Amanda. I haven't seen her since she was engaged to Leo...
Amanda eyed me carefully, probably making some comments of her own.

"You two know each other?" Mr.Evans asked.

"No." Amanda and I said at the same time.

"Just old friends I guess you could say." Amanda eyed me.

I rolled my eyes. Mr.Evans laughed nervously,
"Well, you two will be working together. I hope there's gonna be no problems."

"No problems at all." I spoke up politely.
I looked over at Amanda and she sneered.
What kind of luck do I have to be in the same environment as her?
"Alright then. Amanda, please show her around." My boss smiled. He nodded as she walked away, obviously busy.

I raised my eyebrows towards her," It's fine if you don't want to show me around. I can ask someone else."
Amanda didn't say anything so I took this as a reason to leave. I turned around getting ready to walk away when suddenly she spoke up.

"Marlie, look." She spoke in a normal voice. I looked back at her, feeling surprised.

"Work is a totally different environment, okay? I don't bring personal matters into work. I'll show you around." She said, although it didn't feel heartfelt.

"Okay..." I mumbled, dumbfounded.

"This way." She motioned, walking. I followed after her slowly.
I felt weirded out with Amanda being so...polite? She was showing me around the office, greeting everyone with a smile.

"These are some photographers." Amanda introduced me. It was three girls.

They three gave a mixed reply of hellos.

"This is Dani, Katie, and Shannon." Amanda introduced them individually. They three seemed nice, but I can already tell it's going to be hard to make friends in this environment. They three seemed so close and I wasn't exactly the talkative kind.

"It's going to be nice working with you." I smiled towards them.

"Wait, Aren't you that girl who dated Leonardo DiCaprio?" Dani asked with wide eyes.

The other girls looked over at each other.

"Didn't you get two get kidnapped?" Dani continued.

Shannon elbowed her in the ribs and motioned for her to shut up.

"Dani." Amanda said sternly, clearly a bit mad.
"Don't be rude. She isn't your friend and you're making her uncomfortable. What if you got kidnapped? Would you really want to talk about it?" Amanda raised her eyebrows at Dani.

Dani bit her lip awkwardly.

"It's fine." I smiled assuringly.

Amanda raised her eyebrow at me.

"Sorry. She didn't mean to be rude." Katie mumbled, looking at Amanda with sorry eyes.

Amanda didn't say anything, but rather just walked away. I hesitated, before following after her.

"Seriously, I didn't mean to say that." I heard Dani say behind me.

I sighed, walking slowly. I couldn't help but feel a little relief when Amanda said that. That incident...was the most terrible in my entire life. I still have nightmares about it, and I get scared whenever I smell smoke. Not to mention, When I see people with caps.

Suddenly Amanda stopped walking and I stopped abruptly behind her with wide eyes. She turned around slowly, looking over at me.

"They're nosey. Don't mind them." Amanda said. I nodded.