Chapter 44

I stepped out of my apartment and I looked over slowly towards Leo's apartment door. I wonder if he left already... and why? Was he invited to the party? Or maybe he was possibly going for Amanda's graduation...
I nodded to myself, before locking my door shut and fixing the straps of my bag as I walked away.
-
I appeared at the beach before looking around. My eyes spotted a place where there was music playing and a big bonfire. I smiled, jogging lightly to a few familiar faces.

"Nice to see you showed up!" Eugene joked as he hugged me with one arm, another on a stick for s'mores. I grabbed a marshmallow before popping it in my mouth and scanning the rest of the individuals.

"Nice of you to invite me." I joked.

"Ha. Ha." He fake laughed with his mouth full of chocolate and marshmallows.

I made a disgusted face, before looking around at everyone else.

Evelyn, Kai, Jacky, Eugene, a few of my other friends named Daniel and Emily, before my eyes landed on Leo and Johnny. My smile faltered. Johnny was standing up, waiting to greet me unlike Leo who was sat and drinking out of a beer can.

"Let's sit." Jacky urged me, pulling on my sleeve. I smiled towards Johnny, before sitting down with Jacky.

She leaned in and got close to my ear.

"Kai invited them." She whispered.

I eyed her carefully before nodding. I didn't mind it. Now Leo and I lived next to each other so there's no way to avoid him, and Johnny and I needed to talk anyway. I missed him.
-
I was sitting with a stick in my hand, a marshmallow on the edge as I pointed it towards the fire. Everyone around me was jumping up and down and dancing together. Well, almost all. Johnny And Leo seemed to be glued to their seat, not speaking. I didn't notice as a person walked over towards me.

"Do you..." I looked up," want to go for a walk?" Johnny asked me. I hesitated, before nodding. We needed to talk about a lot of stuff anyway.
I stood up, handing my stick to Jacky before brushing myself off and smiling towards Johnny. He nodded his head before walking away with me.

Leo watched from a distance, a can in his hand as he glared over at us.

"So," I sighed once we were far enough, walking on the beach and feeling the breeze in the air. I had my shoes in my hands as we walked, feeling the sand beneath my feet.

"So..." he smiled.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.

"I just wanted to say sorry. About everything." Johnny sighed into the air. I looked over at him as he continued talking.

"It was a...jerk move to tell Leo something you clearly didn't want him to know. I understand that you were mad, and for all the right reasons at that. I just hope we can be friends again." He smiled towards me. I stopped walking and I looked up at him sternly.

He paused also, looking a bit nervous.

"Dumbo. Of course I'll forgive you." I broke out into a smile,"It was a long time ago, and clearly nothing changed." I smiled, before pulling him into a hug. He smiled, hugging me back.

"I missed you." He let go of me.

I smiled, before quickly grabbing a handful of sand and putting it down the back of his shirt.

"Ha!" I laughed teasingly, before starting to run away.

"Marlie!" He chased after me as I laughed.
-
"How was Rome?" Johnny asked as we sat at the edge of a pier. Our legs were hanging off, looking down at the dark water.

"It was a lot of fun." I nodded to myself," I got to take a lot of pictures, and learn from my instructor, plus Eugene was a big help. It felt very homey, weirdly." I looked over at him and shrugged.

"What about you? Anything new happen while I was gone?" I lightly tapped him.

"Nah. Same stuff." He shrugged, looking out towards the sea. I wanted to ask about Leo. What happened between him and Amanda? Why did he drop out of college? All of these thoughts were lingering in my mind and dying to be asked but, in that moment it didn't feel right.

"So...Eugene And Jacky huh?" He laughed.

I groaned, tilting my head up towards the sky,
"Don't even get me started."

"He wouldn't stop FaceTiming her the wh-" I was cut off by a sudden voice.

"Johnny!" Evelyn jogged up towards us. We both turned around while sitting down.

"Kai is asking for you." Evelyn smiled.

"That's my cue." Johnny smiled, before handing me the beer he was drinking and standing up. I waved bye as him and Evelyn left quickly.
I bit my lip, looking out towards the sea. It's such a beautiful night...you can almost melt into it.

Suddenly I got reminded of Leo and I at Hawaii on the beach. Our reunion kiss was on the beach. And when we fell asleep in each other's arms... I smiled softly. I missed Leo more than anything. It was so crazy that he was on this beach right now, enjoying this moment in his own way.

Then a sudden pang of realization hit me. I'm the only one with those memories... Leo no longer remembers anything. He doesn't remember that kiss on the beach, or when he saved me from Johnnys dad. He doesn't remember anything.

I looked down at the beer can in my hand with tears, before I put the substance to my mouth and chugged it all, a tear running down my cheek. I put the can down shakily and I wiped my mouth with my hand before exhaling loudly into the air.

I should probably get back, the others will be worried. After a few more minutes of looking out, I slowly stood up with the can in my hand. I stepped on the edge and my foot slipped. I gasped, falling off the pier and falling quickly in the water. The beer can rolled onto the floor of the pier and then there was silence.

I opened my eyes in the water, but nothing could be seen. It's so dark outside so it's only normal it'd be dark underwater also...
I tried swimming up, but the more I moved my arms and legs, nothing happened. I held my breath, kicking for my life, but it was no use.

I was drowning.