Chapter 45

{ Leo's P.O.V}
I drank my beer in peace, thinking hard. Marlie seems to be angry at me but, why? Or does she just feel awkward cause I'm here? Maybe I shouldn't have come...

I sighed, standing up and stretching slowly. I looked around, noticing everyone was busy before deciding to take a walk on the beach.

I slowly started walking away from the group, feeling the breeze in my hair while walking down the beach.

I pulled out a pack of cigarettes from my pocket, taking out a cigarette and putting it between my teeth. I reached towards my back pocket, looking for a lighter when I suddenly heard voices.

"So, why did he want to see me?" Johnny asked distantly towards Evelyn. I looked up and I saw them walking this way. Wasn't he with Marlie? Does that mean she's alone?

"It's a surprise." Evelyn wiggled her eyebrows. They both began walking past me when Johnny glanced at me momentarily before nodding. I watched them walk past before sighing.

I gave up finding my lighter and I took the cigarette out of my mouth.

I began walking again, feeling my feet heavy. I knew I didn't deserve Marlie. Not after everything I put her through. But, I really couldn't help it. It was as if some sort of magnet was constantly pulling me towards her (cheesy I know). I always want to be with her.

I stopped walking at the edge of a pier, before hearing my foot hit something. I looked down at a beer can. I shook my head disappointingly.

People always litter. Don't they know it's not good for the earth? I picked up the can before looking out at the ocean.

After a few seconds, I felt a small tug in my stomach. Something wasn't right... I looked around, taking in my surroundings for something suspicious when I saw it. A body.

Marlie laid on the sand. She seemed to be passed out. My stomach dropped, looking at her motionless body.

"Marlie!" I called out to her, but she didn't move. I quickly dropped the can to the floor, sprinting down the pier and appearing quickly at her side.

"Marlie? Wake up, Marles." I shook her shoulders. She didn't move, her breathing weak.

"What the heck? How did you even get like this?" I asked out loud, even though I knew she wouldn't answer. I grabbed onto her hand, pulling my hand away quickly due to the coldness. Her lips were starting to turn blue, and so were her hands.

"I need to call someone. You need to go to the hospital." I quickly reached into my pocket, digging out my phone and pressing shakily on the numbers 911. How did she get like this?

After a few rings, there was an answer.

"Hello! I-" I got cut off when suddenly I felt a cold hand on my hand, motioning for me to stop. I looked down at Marlie. She was slowly opening her eyes and she was breathing slowly.

"Don't." She swallowed,"I can't go to the hospital again." She said in between breaths,"I'm fine."

"Hello? Sir?" A woman asked on the opposite end.
I hesitated," Nevermind. I'm sorry." I hung up the phone.

"Marlie? Are you okay?" I asked, trailing my fingers along her face.

She nodded slowly," I can't go to the hospital again Leo. I really can't." She mumbled, her face clearly in pain.

She dropped her arm, closing her eyes again.

Did she just pass out? I looked down at her chest, it rose and fell slowly. What the hell?